External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#101) Old

Default 05-26-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoplinger1 View Post
Warning, although the manufacturer is the same and one is black and one is white they aren't the same. The black one is model 266 and looks to me to be junk with a weird hole in the base. The white one is model 268 and looks a lot like the black Buffalo reader I own including the smaller orange triangular eject mechanism in the place the black one just had a hole. Now I'm not sure those are actual Kawau model numbers, but they are large black numbers on the packages
Good eye. I ordered a black one and will report back when I get it. I already have a Buffalo and will be able to compare the two.

My Dell Mini 9
Black / BIOS A05 / Dual Booting XP Pro and Ubuntu 9.04 / 2GB RAM / 16GB SSD / BT 2.0 / 1.3MP Webcam / US-INTL Keyboard U061H
Extras:
16GB SDHC
Sleeve
External Drive
Skin
Buffalo MicroSD USB Memory Stick w/8GB MicroSD
  (#102) Old

Default 05-26-2009, 04:49 AM

Thanks! Ordered the white one from deal extreme. I'll test it with a microsd card i have when it arrives.

Mine: Alpine White/Midnight Garden | 16GB SSD Hard Drive | 1GB Ram | Windows 7 | 1.3Pxl cam | Built in Bluetooth | 16GB SDHC Card
  (#103) Old

Default 05-26-2009, 10:54 AM

A massive thanks to @bollywood, my white micro SD reader came through to the UK in record time!!!
  (#104) Old

Default 05-31-2009, 08:19 PM

Well, if anyone is interested in getting the Buffalo readers, I still have a few. I can't compete with Deal Extreme, but I can compete with brando. $13 shipped/$10 if you purchased one from me before.
  (#105) Old

Default Bought from brando---looking good - 06-02-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam1138 View Post
Brando has yet another one in stock in both black and white for only $10 + $3 shipping. This one looks identical to the Buffalo. The name of the company on the reader is Kawau.

Welcome to Usb.brando.com.hk
My brando readers came in the mail today. They seem to work just fine.

[edit] the difference between brando and DealExtreme models (c268 vs. c266) seems to be the yellow eject mechanism.

Read More. Think More. Learn More. Be More.

Dell Vostro A90, (Thanks SlickDeals.net), 2GB RAM (Newegg), 16GB SSD (stock Dell), 8GB SDHC (micro center), Custom Skin (UniqueSkins.com), monolingual, xslimmer, App Zapper, OS X 10.5.7 (Thanks mechdrew), two-finger TouchPad Driver (Thanks meklort and northmendo)
  (#106) Old

Default 06-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Just noticed the readers on deal extreme. Ordered a black one for $3.99 and an 8GB class 4 Micro SD from amazon uk for £11.20 delivered. I have quite a bit of space on the mini with an 8GB SSD, a 16GB internal USB stick and a 16GB SDHC card but more storage never hurts at that price!

I'll be using the card reader and card mainly for running portable games directly from the card.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.
  (#107) Old

Default 06-08-2009, 05:38 PM

Has anyone disected their buffalo reader to where they could disable the LED light? I like to leave mine plugged in all the time but only occasionally use the data on it. I unmount it in OSX but the blue LED stays on no matter what. I know its not much but its using battery time that I wish it wasn't and its a little annoying. Funny since LED's don't usually bother me.
  (#108) Old
Administrator

Default 06-08-2009, 06:06 PM

You've got to be kidding. That thing is so tightly integrated and constructed, any attempt to get at the innards to "disable" the LED would likely destroy it. Just put a piece of electrical tape over the LED (white or black, depending.)

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#109) Old

Default 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM

somehow I don't think tape will prevent the reader from using battery power to keep the LED running... And no I'm not kidding about wanting to do it, doesn't seem to far fetched when you look at what people are doing to their computers these days...

On a serious note I realize how tight the reader is making it more than likely impossible to disable the LED unless you have surgeon hands and a microscopic drill or some other tool.
  (#110) Old

Smile 06-09-2009, 09:46 PM

Hi everyone, long-time lurker, new member.

anyway, just wanted to say they have something at fry's thats basically the same as the buffalo and this other one thats shown above. it sells for 2.99, just bought it last night along with a 8gb micro sd for $18. So if you have a fry's electronics near you, take a look at the card reader aisle. I have attached pix below to show comparison. btw, great forum we have here! ive had my mini9 since december and love it!

« SD cards | Matias [external] Folding Keyboard »