External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to TchnclFl
Default Mini 9 Solderless Touch Screen Predicament - 11-01-2009, 08:23 PM

Hey guys!

I'm very tempted by the idea of the solderless touch screen, but I do have a few fears. I've never disassembled my Mini more than just taking off the back cover to replace RAM and SSD, and I'm not sure how easy it is?

Firstly, are all the screws that need removing the same? I'd hate to end up mixing them up!

Also, How hard is it to get it stripped down to the level required? Does it take a lot of work/space/is it very time consuming?

Similarly, What are the chances of accidentally breaking the bezel/palm rest, etc. when trying to remove them? As I've said, I've never tried this before.

If I were to want to remove the touch screen, I've heard a lot of things about it shattering. Is this a near certainty, or is there a way around that?

Finally, I've never been able to get my webcam to work, and I suspect it's a hardware problem. From what I understand, it's either the camera module or the cable/connection. Also from what I understand, the touch screen uses a Hub which plugs into the camera's connection, and then has the camera plug into it. If it's that USB connection that's broken, am I just SOL, or would there be any chance of returning the touch screen.

I know that's a lot to read, but I appreciate any answers!
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 11-01-2009, 08:32 PM

The screws are mostly the same - I think there are two different lengths. What I do is take the screws and put them in a row, in order of removal, and then reverse on assembly. Never had a problem. Note that two screws are hidden under rubber pads at the corners of the bottom.

It is not difficult, but you do need to take care. The part that gives people the most trouble is disconnecting the keyboard and power ribbon cables, as the connectors for these are delicate and have tiny slide locks.

Can you break something? Sure. Removing the bezel is perhaps the trickiest part of this, but if you don't force it, it's not too difficult. Read the Dell Service Manual disassembly and reassembly instructions.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 11-01-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
The screws are mostly the same - I think there are two different lengths. What I do is take the screws and put them in a row, in order of removal, and then reverse on assembly. Never had a problem. Note that two screws are hidden under rubber pads at the corners of the bottom.

It is not difficult, but you do need to take care. The part that gives people the most trouble is disconnecting the keyboard and power ribbon cables, as the connectors for these are delicate and have tiny slide locks.

Can you break something? Sure. Removing the bezel is perhaps the trickiest part of this, but if you don't force it, it's not too difficult. Read the Dell Service Manual disassembly and reassembly instructions.
Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity, I printed out the PDF on installing the touch screen, and started. I got through removing the keyboard (after a little bit of fiddling), and had a slight panic when I removed the touchpad connection and couldn't get it back in for several minutes. I can't seem to figure out how to get off the Handrest/bezel, etc. At one point it says to use a pointy object to release hooks, but I can't figure out what in the heck it's talking about. Any advice on this part (specifically removing the handrest/bezel part) would be much appreciated!
  (#4) Old
Administrator

Default 11-01-2009, 10:44 PM

If you have removed ALL the screws, you should be able to remove the palmrest with your fingers. You probably missed a screw or two. I highly recommend the Dell service manual.

Steve
  (#5) Old

Default 11-01-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
If you have removed ALL the screws, you should be able to remove the palmrest with your fingers. You probably missed a screw or two. I highly recommend the Dell service manual.
I'll check it out, thanks. The Palmrest does kind of "pop" out though, right?
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 11-01-2009, 11:49 PM

It unsnaps from the base, if that's what you mean.

Steve
  (#7) Old

Default 11-01-2009, 11:59 PM

I'm reading through the service manual, and I just can't seem to figure out how to get the palm rest off! I have no clue what it means, and I find the way it's worded a bit confusing. If anyone can reword it/take pictures of the proper technique/show me a video of it, that would be the best.
  (#8) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-02-2009, 12:25 AM

Just gently pry/pop it off, or even just enough so you can see how it holds on, and do make sure you have all the screws out.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#9) Old
Administrator

Default 11-02-2009, 12:44 AM

I usually find it helps to start one one side near the display.

See if the pictures here help: Dell Mini 9 Disassembly Pictures

Steve
  (#10) Old

Default 11-02-2009, 01:10 AM

Good news! I got it off! Turns out I did have all the screws out, but I just needed to get a little courage and apply some more pressure. It popped out smoothly as you guys said it would. Thanks for the help. So now I know how to get the palm rest off, do you think I have what it takes to install a touch screen?

« write protecting a usb drive? | questions about external displays »