External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Recommendations For External LCD - 10-12-2009, 11:11 PM

Hey all- just wanted to get your recommendations on an external monitor for use with my mini. I'm a designer by trade and have been so impressed with the power this little thing has now that it has the RunCore Pro IV in it. I enjoy using the mini as is, but there are times where I like to hook it up to a larger monitor when I'm working on a larger project. I have the mini itself packaged into a nice little messenger back with all my peripherals for everyday use. What I am looking for now though is a monitor which I can package up in a separate case or slip and take with me when I'm needing more desktop real estate on the go.

To be even more picky, I am really wanting to do the monitor on top of monitor setup. That is to say, I'm partial to having the netbook sit on the desk with the external monitor just above it (using a stand to accomplish this). My question to you all is, what monitor would you recommend that I can put in a case easily enough and take on the go when I need it in these rare situations.

Two that struck my interest were the HP L1750 or the HP L1945W. I was thinking of these because 1) the stand appears to give them the ability to be set high enough to have the mini underneath, and 2) the appear as if they could break down to a smaller footprint and put in case. I have, of course, nothing to back this up, it just looks like this to me.

So any suggestions as far as portability? I like Samsun's lapfit, but that is more of a side by side setup, and not an over the top setup.

Cheers,
Stephen
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-13-2009, 12:13 AM

Since the mini only has VGA out (no DVI) I'd stay away from huge monitors. The loss of sharpness would really tell at the higher resolution. I'd guess max 22-ish widescreen, 1680x1050 max and perhaps even that would be fuzzy enough to cause eyestrain. Since I have 2 such monitors around here I'll make an effort to hook one up and see what it looks like.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral

« Xbox 360: Tagging Movies & adding info | Solar Panels to power Dell Mini 10 »