External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default TV Tuner - 10-06-2008, 12:09 PM

anybody using one? Got any recommendations?

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#2) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 10-08-2008, 08:21 PM

Honestly I have tuners on my other systems and I don't know how well the mini would handle it. The dual tuner on my home built desktop slows it down a great deal. i'd recomend a tuner on another system and just put the files onto a flash drive when you need them.
  (#3) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: TV Tuner - 10-09-2008, 11:18 AM

USB TV tuners are a two-edged sword.

Their cool smallness is offset by the fact that they are offloading the processing duties to your PC and seem to want as much USB bandwidth as possible.
That adds up to you needing a pretty healthy machine to do anything above standard definition television.

This is one of those areas where it seems like the Mini 9 might have trouble, but it might be fun to try anyway.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#4) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 10-29-2008, 02:49 AM

I tried it with a WinTV HVR 850 USB Tuner. Once I got the drivers installed it seemed to do okay with the SD Digital stations and Analog. The Digital seemed a bit stuttery maybe, and I am not to sure about the HD digital. Will try that tomorrow maybe.

I have a bit of a hard time, because I can only get in 2 stations if the outside conditions are good. A Fox affiliate 60+ miles away, and a PBS affiliate that is closer but not sure how close.

**Added**
The PBS HD Station isn't too bad. It stutters a bit in fullscreen mode using WinTV6. The Standard Definition stations aren't too bad. I get 2 SD PBS Stations, the affiliate and the added digital one. They all come in fairly well with the WinTV HVR 850 USB TV Tuner.

I haven't bothered trying to record anything because I only have about 2.5GB Free on the SSD, but I'm sure it would be just fine.

The CPU Load according to System Monitor (CTRL-ALT-DEL) for HD is 50-80%, for SD it is about 45-50%. This is with only 512MB Ram. Also HD and SD was all over the place on System Monitor.

Oddly Analog TV CPU Load is about 60-80% but pretty tight around 74%.

Hope that is worded semi-clear for anyone interested.

Dell Mini 9 Obsidian 2GB RAM Windows XP, Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS on 4 GB USB Stick.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 10-29-2008, 05:59 AM

I recommend a slingbox. WHile it is not an actual tuner, you will save lots of work load. Yhe slingbox sits as a separate unti at your home, you merely run an applicaiton on your laptop that streams your tv feed. It only uses minor CPU. The slingbox is remote controlled, you can switch channels and literally connect to your usual home tv feed from anywhere in the world.

I have been using this device for many years now and it performs flawless.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 10-29-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna604
I recommend a slingbox. WHile it is not an actual tuner, you will save lots of work load. Yhe slingbox sits as a separate unti at your home, you merely run an applicaiton on your laptop that streams your tv feed. It only uses minor CPU. The slingbox is remote controlled, you can switch channels and literally connect to your usual home tv feed from anywhere in the world.

I have been using this device for many years now and it performs flawless.
While that is nice, it does not offer any dvr function.

I am now using a dual tuner on my desktop, with the 500gb drive it saves to shared on the network. I am able to watch episodes seamlessly through the network. For tv shows while I travel(within the US) I use hulu.com as it has most of what I need.

With the dual channel tuner and the network sharing it has worked great for the last month. I never have any trouble with it and the mini does a great job with it.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 12-11-2008, 10:02 AM

from the slingbox website....The Slingbox streams live video from whatever source you connect to it. You cannot use the Slingbox or SlingPlayer software to record the stream. However, you can use the SlingPlayer software to "remote" control your DVR to record shows and, of course, watch already recorded shows from it.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 12-12-2008, 06:19 PM

I have a slingbox, but my Mini has Ubuntu loaded - does anyone her know of a way to make those two work together? I was hoping sling.com would work as a browser-based viewing method, but if the beta is any indication, it looks like it will choke on a non-windows browser. Any ideas - including a way to make the firefox that comes pre-installed "imitate" firefow on windows?

Joe
  (#9) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 12-13-2008, 01:15 AM

Another vote for slingbox. I love mine. I can completely control my TiVo while using it and even my cable box which also has a DVR. And with the cable box, I can even access pay per views.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 01-23-2009, 06:13 PM

I have a WinTV HVR 850 USB Tuner as well. I just tried it with my Mini 9 last night. From where I tested it, indoors, I could only receive analog broadcasts. The CPU to sat around 80% and the video was choppy. This wasn't even in full screen and I had shut down all other apps. I am running XP Pro with 2GB RAM.

From other posts it seems SD digital is easier on the CPU so I will give that a try but based on my experience this far I wouldn't use my Mini 9 to watch TV.

I know Dell is now selling a model of USB tuner I wonder if that has different specs and will use less CPU resources? Does anyone have one yet?

Mini 9 (910)|N270|2GB|16GB SSD|Bluetooth|XP SP3
Mini 10 (1012)|N450|2GB|250GB|HD Display|Bluetooth|Crystal HD|GPS|Win 7

XPS 13 (Ivy Bridge) - Mini 10 replacement planned for this summer

« Does anyone know of a nice wireless mouse for about $20? | Diablotek?? External DVD »