External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#21) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 04-30-2009, 11:35 AM

I have a Hauppauge HVR-950Q which is both ATSC and QAM- capable in addition to analog over-the-air and cable, plus direct composite and S-video inputs. Cost was $70 after a rebate so quite reasonable. It works fairly well with the Mini, the main limitation is with 1080i HD over-the-air which is a bit much for the GPU so motion is not smooth. The image quality is however very good even at full screen. The Hauppauge software includes a utility to set different video modes to improve performance, best results are obtained with "overlay" mode.
720p and 480i broadcasts are fine, as is analog. I haven't tried QAM yet.
I've seen posts about alternative decoding software that may work better than the provided Hauppauge WinTV but haven't tried those.
I had also considered the Pinnacle TV stick for its small size, but after seeing a bunch of bad reviews decided to avoid it.
A couple of notes for anyone considering using one of these for extended periods on battery, or installing internally- This one, and probably others as well, uses a lot of power and runs very hot (and the Mini gets hot as well) especially when receiving HD. CPU usage is very high when viewing HD broadcasts, on the order of 70-80%. This will result in very short battery life.
  (#22) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 06-19-2009, 05:50 PM

Best Buy has the Hauppauge HVR-950Q on sale for $70. I need an emergency TV ASAP now that my analog battery operated one no longer works due to the digital switch. I have read that the 7" TVs run for a little over two hours and are $130 to $150 locally. If the tuner runs 2+ hours, I would be happy. (I have already had one power outage that lasted 6 hours when some bad thunderstorms rolled through earlier this month). Since an outage means no router, I would turn WiFi off to conserve battery power. I have been using a rooftop antenna I installed for MPEG-2 HD when my satellite signal is wiped out by heavy rain fade so I am all set in that regard. Just need to know how long the Mini 9 battery can last after turning off WiFi and other services.

Also, does anyone have the Hauppauge working in Windows 7? I read a review and it said 7 doesn't work.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#23) Old

Default 06-19-2009, 08:38 PM

I can't say for sure how long the battery will run with this tuner, but given how hot the tuner stick and the Mini itself get when it's in use I don't think 2 hours is a given, even with everything else turned off. It may also depend on what type of signals you are receiving, since full HD uses the most CPU and draws more power. If you tune to only SD (480i) DTV channels that should help with battery life.
  (#24) Old
Expert Member

Default 06-19-2009, 10:51 PM

I have the Pinnacle USB mini stick (mac version which also has windows drivers) and I'll second the above. Both the mini and the USB stick get quite warm to the point where I'd say they're hot. It doesn't matter much Windows vs. Mac as far as the amount of heat generated. I think about 2 hours is max you'd get on the standard battery. All that heat means lots of power being used so between a full brightness screen and powering the speakers and the USB stick that's alot of current getting used.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#25) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 06-19-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder View Post
I can't say for sure how long the battery will run with this tuner, but given how hot the tuner stick and the Mini itself get when it's in use I don't think 2 hours is a given, even with everything else turned off. It may also depend on what type of signals you are receiving, since full HD uses the most CPU and draws more power. If you tune to only SD (480i) DTV channels that should help with battery life.
SD is fine as I need it only for weather when storms roll in. Got it as an emergency TV.

So far, I can't find drivers for it in Windows 7. It found the device but the drivers have the dreaded yellow triangles.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#26) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 11:51 AM

If you haven't already done so you can get the latest drivers and WinTV version from Hauppauge's site, here-
Support for WinTV-HVR-950Q
No mention of Windows 7 support, which isn't surprising since it hasn't been officially released yet.
  (#27) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-20-2009, 02:48 PM

I have tried the Windows Catalog, tons of Google searches and downloaded all the drivers I can find at the Hauppauge site including the 850 drivers.
Installation CD Version 4.8A with WinTV version 6
WinTV-HVR-950Q driver update: 72drv_27078
WinTV v7 version 1.1E and a couple of more for the 850.

I have tried installing in compatibility mode. I have run the Hauppauge driver cleaner several times. I have uninstalled and each time Windows auto updates the drivers even though I have told it not to under Device Installation settings.

There were reports here & there claiming that Windows 7 found and installed the correct driver.

Getting ready to try on my XP Pro desktop.

(#28) Old

Default 06-20-2009, 03:10 PM

Good luck, unfortunately I doubt Hauppauge will have any official support for Win 7 until its official release later this year.
  (#29) Old
Super Moderator

Default 06-20-2009, 11:12 PM

Well, it locks up when scanning digital ATSC in Windows XP Pro and can scan a few analog channels before it locks up. I even put a small fan next to the USB stick.

(#30) Old

Default 06-21-2009, 02:03 AM

Hm, it shouldn't lock up. Maybe try it in a different USB port? It shouldn't matter but who knows.
Even when mine has been running for a while and is toasty it still works just fine.

« Does anyone know of a nice wireless mouse for about $20? | Diablotek?? External DVD »