External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#11) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: TV Tuner - 01-23-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp
I have a WinTV HVR 850 USB Tuner as well. I just tried it with my Mini 9 last night. From where I tested it, indoors, I could only receive analog broadcasts. The CPU to sat around 80% and the video was choppy. This wasn't even in full screen and I had shut down all other apps. I am running XP Pro with 2GB RAM.

From other posts it seems SD digital is easier on the CPU so I will give that a try but based on my experience this far I wouldn't use my Mini 9 to watch TV.

I know Dell is now selling a model of USB tuner I wonder if that has different specs and will use less CPU resources? Does anyone have one yet?
Can confirm the Hauppauge HVR-850 tuner working great on the MINI! :mrgreen:
Picked it up at newegg for $40 back when it was on sale

First, verify that you have the latest driver for this tuner:

At http://catalog.update.microsoft.com, search 'Hauppauge' then click 'Last Updated' to sort above latest driver to the top. Download the driver and install via the device manager.

Don't waste your time/SSD space installing the WinTV software!
Although its slightly better than Pinnacle's buggy HDTV player, it still blows chunks and very clunky on the Mini.

Instead, download and install http://www.gbpvr.com/

Code:
GB-PVR supports the latest technologies, including ATSC/ClearQAM/DVB-C/DVB-T/DVB-S capture devices, high definition MPEG2 and H.264 television channels, media extenders (Popcorn Hour, Hauppauge MediaMVP etc), multidec support, multi-record (recording multiple digital channels with one tuner), etc
GB-PVR is freeware and very much less CPU intensive for watching HDTV on your Mini!

Lastly, confirm you have installed latest http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm K-Lite Codec Pack!

Thats all you need to do to enjoy HDTV on your Mini!
Have very good LOS and signal strength at my location using an external outside antenna...
Uploaded small Hauppauge SignalMonitor app for use monitoring the station's signal strength...
Attached Files
File Type: zip hcwsigmon.zip (946.3 KB, 19 views)

(#12) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 01-25-2009, 12:45 AM

Isn't the new mini 10 going to have one built in? wonder how thats gunna work considering it is mostly the same specs as the mini 9.
  (#13) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: TV Tuner - 01-28-2009, 01:56 PM

Too bad there's still nothing on.

The Hauppauge external has been dropping in price. I might grab one to play with if they get a little cheaper.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#14) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 01-30-2009, 01:07 PM

I picked up the EVGA one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815101002

I have only been able to watch TV over the composite (DirectTV), but it seems pretty smooth. You have to do some searching to find a newer version of the software tho,otherwise you cant turn the closed captions off.

Also realized that I have no OTA channels at all,lol. I'll be able to actually test out the cable tuner on a cable connection next week tho. I also got a 19 inch 1680x1050 resoltion monitor,that im gonna test with the mini,and see if it can play TV on it.

It comes with a lot of accessories, so I like it

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#15) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: TV Tuner - 01-30-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeth_03
I picked up the EVGA one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815101002

I have only been able to watch TV over the composite (DirectTV), but it seems pretty smooth. You have to do some searching to find a newer version of the software tho,otherwise you cant turn the closed captions off.

Also realized that I have no OTA channels at all,lol. I'll be able to actually test out the cable tuner on a cable connection next week tho. I also got a 19 inch 1680x1050 resoltion monitor,that im gonna test with the mini,and see if it can play TV on it.

It comes with a lot of accessories, so I like it
You are in the same boat as me with the Hauppauge in that your tuner isn't QAM capable so it wouldn't work with digital HDTV cable TV connection. You would only be able to tune in the non-digital SD channels and nothing in HD over cable. :cry:

I can't give enough props to the creator of GB-PVR though. It is simply the best ATSC HDTV viewer I have tested thus far. Actually have stopped using Vista WMC on my Studio notebook after discovering GP-PVR!

(#16) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 01-30-2009, 07:36 PM

kinda pointless worrying about HDTV on a netbook dont ya think?

*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#17) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: TV Tuner - 01-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeth_03
kinda pointless worrying about HDTV on a netbook dont ya think?
Not when it works.
Can't beat the PQ difference between sad looking SD and much improved HD!

(#18) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 02-08-2009, 03:12 PM

I tested the EVGA tuner using a cable hooked up to it. After disabling Time Shifting (which was enabled at default, and it caused lag), it plays just fine. I got it hooked up to my widescreen 19 inch monitor (1680x1050 res), full screen,and it plays smooth using around 50% cpu.

I have 2 problems tho-

CC is always on when I first start up the program, and it always starts at channel 2. I dont see a way to enter a channel number,so it takes a while to get to the right channel.

Other than that,it works pretty good tho, nice picture quality on my SD cable.

EDIT- duh,went back and just typed in a number and it went to that channel ops:

*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#19) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 02-08-2009, 08:17 PM

I'm interested in a tuner to use my Mini 9 as an emergency, battery powered TV. Living in Los Angeles, AKA "Shakey Town", we've been having increased seismic activity lately after years of quiet. This will be a perfect solution to watch emergency broadcasts should an earthquake or terrorist event shut down power in my neighborhood.

Obsidian black Mini 9: 1GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, bluetooth, no cam, XP. Dell Outlet.
  (#20) Old

Default Re: TV Tuner - 04-30-2009, 02:53 AM

I had an interesting idea. What if we used the untapped USB connection from the WWAN port (pins 36 and 38), soldered or connected a TV tuner there, and wrapped an antenna inside the display like the Wi-Fi antenna ? I believe this TV Tuner will work. I have read that we could just use speaker wire as our antenna, but I am unsure how that would connect to the input as it looks proprietary. There also appears to be a right-angle antenna so if we position it just right, it may work :ugeek:. If that would work, we would have a small, powerful, TV/DVR/Netbook with NO ugly external connections !

EDIT: Maybe someone who has WWAN or an available Mini-PCIe port can see if this Avermedia A312 Card works. It has NTSC (useless), ASTC, and FM Capability . Only drawback? No OS X Drivers .

Dell Mini 9 - Onyx Black, 32 GB STEC SSD, 2GB RAM, 1.3 Megapixel Webcam, Wireless N Card

« Does anyone know of a nice wireless mouse for about $20? | Diablotek?? External DVD »