External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#11) Old

Arrow 10-10-2009, 01:13 AM

Here are pictures of my Belkin CushTop. The CushTop can be used on either side, with one side sized for up to a 15" laptop, the other side for up to 17" laptops. Here are some pictures.

I used the larger 17" side for the top pic and the 15" side for the lower one.

True mercy is never earned.

Desktop: Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz (unlocked to X6)|8GB 1600 DDR3|500GB|Radeon HD 6750|Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Notebook: Inspiron 1121|Core i3-330UM|8GB 800 DDR3|320GB|Intel HD Graphics|Windows 7 Pro x64
  (#12) Old

Default 10-10-2009, 04:27 AM

For simplicity, I fashioned some 1/8"-3/16" masonsnite (trade name) boards a little larger than my mini 9s. I also fashioned one out of 1/8"-3/16" luan plywood finished with urenthane sealant (MinWax) for a slightly more elegant look. These work well for simple on the bed, couch, ect., esp. where one is likely to place the netbook on a soft surface. The board compresses the comforter or what-not still allowing air circulation to the netbook. I have also used the board to hold the netbook in my left hand while working the key board and touch pad with my right. The board does a nice job of keeping the heat away from my hand or my thighs when used there for more normal application. In addition, 3 were sized to also work as a divider in the portable DVD cases of which 1 was for me and 2 I gave to my wife and daugher. It gives added protection as well as creating a second compartment for storage (such as the modified LED booklights I made that clip onto the mini 9's top lid) at little additional carrying weight.

I also purchased 3 MyPlace laptop stands for "at home use". This is an adjustable TV dinner like stand. I purchased these at Staples for about $29 each. They have some nice adjustable features as well as a very functional LED lamp.

The lighting is important to me as I like to use the netbook in the dark when in bed.

I'm posting a link that has a demo. The USB feature has come into play after my purchases, as far as I know. I made my purchases months ago. I would look around and see if the price could be better. The link is more for the demo than anything.

If I wasn't clear enough describing the boards and also if anyone is interested in the booklight idea, I'll be more than happy to post pictures. The mod on the light was on the clip to shorten it, thus not obscuring the webcam on the minis.

Hope this is of some service and interest.

https://www.myplaceworkstation.com/
  (#13) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 10-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstaats View Post
Here are pictures of my Belkin CushTop. The CushTop can be used on either side, with one side sized for up to a 15" laptop, the other side for up to 17" laptops. Here are some pictures.

I used the larger 17" side for the top pic and the 15" side for the lower one.

My god all those fingerprints.....get some Windex my man..

PS. I use a Targus Netbook Chillpad which keeps my Mini 10 running cool along with keeping my legs cool..just my 0.02

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#14) Old

Default 10-12-2009, 04:03 AM

Do you guys have a Meijers grocery store near you??

I just happen to drop by the electronics section and saw them clearancing out a whole bunch of different types of lap desks. There were two lap desk cooler types from Logitech that were around $20 and the Belkin foamy thing was $15.

Also at Meijers...HP Mini 1020NR for $339. Two models, both with Atom 270 and Intel GMA950 video. One model had 3-cell battery and the other had 6-cell. I'm not saying they are the best prices...but who goes to buy laptops at a grocery store?? i'm going to keep an eye on these for family...since they can be hackintoshed too.

Just wanted to tell you guys to go look if you have a Meijers.

Mini 10v

Tags
lapdesk

« simple & low cost alternative of external CD/DVD drive | Xbox 360: Tagging Movies & adding info »