External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Mbox 2 Mini Pro Tools LE 8 Works on OSX!! Mini 9 - 09-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Hey guys. I have a Protools setup for my main mac, but I decided to try and get the mbox 2 mini working with OSX on the Mini 9 as a portable recording solution.

I searched on these forums, but was unable to find any information, so I decided to bite the bullet and order the system.

I also have a windows laptop that I could have used for the system so it would not have been a total loss.

Anyway, I had a success. I have the digidesign Mbox 2 Mini hooked up via the left side USB port, and a WD 250GB 5400 rpm My Passport HDD hooked up on the right side 2.0 port. It is formatted to Mac GUID Journaled.

I just recorded a test podcast via this setup and it sounds great. One caveat. I have not played around with window positioning. There are a lot of Protools windows that open by default, but the main one does fit on the screen. I would not recommend this for serious mixing or editing, but for quick on site recording or on the go, this will work perfectly. I know you can adjust window sizes in protools, I will probably mess around making a template.

I will try later today recording vocal and guitar at the same time and see how it handles that. I know a lot of people were curious about this. It's a great solution, and pretty affordable at 250-299, considering what you are getting.

This was a basic Pro Tools 8 LE install on a 10.5.7 (stock dell 32 gb) build.

Thanks!
Charlie

« Need software to mirror multi boot HDD | external case for 16GB mini9 SSD »