External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#21) Old
Administrator

Default 03-11-2010, 04:09 PM

So does the Mini 9. The usual issue is insufficient power at the USB port. Often, only one port has sufficient power - on the 9 it's the one next to the power jack. Another issue is that some drives draw more power than others. Some will come with a separate power cord that can plug into a separate USB jack or an external power supply.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#22) Old

Default 04-18-2010, 11:33 AM

The $45.00 Cdn dvd burner/reader I bought from newegg has a power brick,this makes the assembly bigger/heavier than my Mini10...no biggie as I'm not going to carry them with the netbook & I can use it on my older desktop to do other stuff.
  (#23) Old
Super Moderator

Default 04-18-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Some will come with a separate power cord that can plug into a separate USB jack or an external power supply.
Others, such as Dell's own offering, come with two USB plugs, which can be plugged into two adjacent sockets to provide a higher power input.

Probably a bit more convenient than having to carry a separate power 'brick' around with you!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#24) Old

Default 04-19-2010, 09:37 PM

-- 2120 | black | N550 | 250 gb | 2 gb | 7 ult 32bit
-- Alienware MX11 R1 | Black | dual 7300 | 500 gb | 4 gb | Win7 Pro 64bit
  (#25) Old

Default 09-18-2010, 04:56 PM

I have a mini 9 with Windows XP and I bought a Polaroid DR110 slim DVD drive from Amazon.
I need a decoder or driver or whatever it's called.
Here are the options I am considering:
Roxio $14.99
Corel DVD XPack $8.95
Cyberlink Power DVD SE $14.95
There are also free decoders but I don't want to get a virus.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

(I apologize for any duplication of this message: I'm not sure how the messages are displayed and would appreciate an answer as soon as possible.)
I have a mini 910 with Windows XP and I bought a Polaroid DR110 slim DVD drive from Amazon.
I need a decoder or driver or whatever it's called.
Here are the options I am considering:
Roxio $14.99
Corel DVD XPack $8.95
Cyberlink Power DVD SE $14.95
There are also free decoders but I don't want to get a virus.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!
  (#26) Old
Administrator

Default 09-18-2010, 10:48 PM

You want to play DVD movies? Did the DVD drive not include the necessary software?

A free option is VideoLan. I've used Roxio and Cyberlink players before and they're fine.

Steve
  (#27) Old

Default 09-20-2010, 06:29 PM

Thanks for your help!
I just want to play movies and no software came with the player.
Someone said in a review that they had to install Roxio to use the player.
What is the difference (non-technical) between the free software and the other two?
How are people able to offer free software?
I really appreciate your help!
  (#28) Old
Guru

Default 09-20-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallbook View Post
What is the difference (non-technical) between the free software and the other two?
How are people able to offer free software?
One's free and one isn't?

As for how free software can exist, donations of money and of talent. Both from individuals and companies (that make money selling services related to "free" software).

I don't think VLC or ffmpeg (the meat of VLC) have the big corporate sponsors that the best known free OS (Linux) has, but there are plenty of individuals who donate time and money to them.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#29) Old
Administrator

Default 09-20-2010, 09:33 PM

There is a wide variety of quality in both free and commercial software. There are gems and stinkers in both. Sad to say, current Roxio software is in the "stinker" category in my opinion - it was not always such.

On Windows, Windows Media Player will play DVDs, but for some reason Microsoft makes you go get an external decoder in some editions.

In the case of VLC (VideoLan Client), it's a very widely used and full-featured player that includes everything you need. The user interface isn't flashy, but it has what you need. It's also reputed to be better performing than many commercial products.

There's lots of bad free software too, so look to recommendations from other users. (Beware of what look like shill posts - there are many of these for video converters and the like.) Sometimes paying for a commercial product is the right choice. (I sure hope so, as I'm a commercial software developer in my "day job", but it isn't software you're likely to use on a Mini.)

Steve
  (#30) Old

Default 10-26-2010, 06:48 AM

Thanks to all of you for great advice on which external DVD driver to buy and then which software to download to view DVDs.
I have just ordered the Liteon 8X Top Load DVDrw Black and will download VLC when it arrives. With a 30 hour journey to South Africa I have coming up with my 4 year old.

Please tell me about BATTERY LIFE: It looks like the battery only works for 6.5 hours before needing charging> Is this correct?
I am also wondering if using the external DVD drive would it actually last even shorter due to added power drive requires?
THank you

« Keyboard Protector For Mini 9 | Cardboard Stand for Mini 9 »