External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Kensington and IGo tips for the Mini - 11-29-2008, 05:54 PM

It appears that IGo has 4 tips (103, 206, S5, 3) that fits many Dell laptops including the Mini. Here is the IGo list:
Notebook Dell Inspiron 1200
Notebook Dell Inspiron 1300
Notebook Dell Inspiron 2200
Notebook Dell Inspiron 3000
Notebook Dell Inspiron 3200
Notebook Dell Inspiron 3500
Notebook Dell Inspiron 7000
Notebook Dell Inspiron B120
Notebook Dell Inspiron B130
Notebook Dell Inspiron Mini 12
Notebook Dell Inspiron Mini 9

So can one assume the IGo tips are providing the same 19v voltage for all Dells including the Mini? Then the laptop draws whatever amps it needs assuming it does not exceed the Wattage of the charger? In this case of the Mini, 30 Watts.

For example, I have a Kensington 120W charger. Plenty of power, but can I use the typical N3 or N19 tip for Dells on the Mini?
Assuming the tips themselves regulate voltage, then it would seem the N3 or N19 would work fine. Anyone?

Thanks
  (#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Kensington and IGo tips for the Mini - 11-30-2008, 03:17 AM

Yes, all of those dells use 19v, and as long as they aren't drawing more wattage than the power supply can provide, they are compatible.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Kensington and IGo tips for the Mini - 11-30-2008, 05:38 AM

After some research I think the N3 (not the N19) is the compatible tip for the Dell Mini.
I ordered a N3 Tip and will post here if it works.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Kensington and IGo tips for the Mini - 12-07-2008, 05:16 AM

I still have not gotten my Dell Mini yet, but I received the Kensington N3 Power Tip and tested it. It puts out 19V. So far so good. When the Dell arrives I'll test the fit of the tip. BTW, I got the N3 tip off eBay for $5 shipped.
  (#5) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Kensington and IGo tips for the Mini - 12-07-2008, 05:39 AM

Very cool - I've got an IGo and have collected tips for all my previous phones, mp3 players, and whatnot... Very much looking forward to seeking out the appropriate tip for a mini!

Feedback would be great about the N3. Thanks for posting!

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Kensington and IGo tips for the Mini - 12-07-2008, 02:57 PM

I rummaged around and found that I had an N3 tip. Seems to work fine. At present, I'd not be likely to use the Kensington adapter with my Mini, but it's nice to know that I could.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old
Administrator

Default Re: Kensington and IGo tips for the Mini - 12-07-2008, 03:48 PM

I'm going to take back part of what I said about the N3. It does "work", in that it powers the Mini fine. But, like a lot of the Kensington tips, the barrel is longer than the stock connector and it lacks the stepped ring that fits into the recess on the side of the Mini helping hold it in place. The result is that if there's any pressure on the tip horizontally or vertically, it may lose contact. It's fine if you're using it on a desk and the cord is supported, but I'd be hesitant using the Kensington tip with the Mini on a lap or other way that the cord is not supported. The real downside is that if the cord is wiggled or pressure applied a lot it may damage the contacts in the power jack. My son's old Compaq Armada died this way.

It occurs to me that one might be able to "fix" this by gluing a plastic washer or maybe some thick heat-shrink tubing over the barrel of a size that fits into the recess so that it takes up the stress.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Kensington and IGo tips for the Mini - 12-08-2008, 01:34 AM

Thanks holmes4, $5 for the N3 tip gets me an AC, Auto/DC and Airline adapter for the Dell Mini vs paying $50+ for multiple adapters.
Kensington has always had issues with tip fit. I use the N1 tip on my Toshiba laptop and have to be careful not to break the tip off.
I'll let you know how my tip fits when my Dell arrives.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Kensington and IGo tips for the Mini - 12-12-2008, 08:02 PM

Got my Mini and can confirm that the N3 Kensington tip does fit and charges the Mini. The fit is slightly looser then the OEM adapter tip, but it does the job for those rare times I'm away from home. Like any protruding connector, user beware that it can break off with abuse.

I'll post a review of the Mini and my issues in the General Discussion thread.
  (#10) Old

Default works but... - 05-22-2009, 03:41 AM

Hey

Just joining in on the conversation. Looked thru my stuff and found two of the N3 tips and after reading what has been posted decided to modify them with JB weld.

After the JB weld dried I put the tips onto a small lathe and turned them down to factory specs.

Short story is that it does work but sticks so long out of the side the smallest bump or unsupported cable and it loses contact. This happened with both of the tips I modified and with the Mini on my desk while typing.

For my money and sense of mind I will keep looking for a better fitting wall/air/car adapter and keep the 120 watt brick with my larger Dell.

Hate to take a chance on ruining my Mini to save some cash...

A

« DIY Mini 9 Skin | Tiny Bluetooth USB Adapter Dongle for Mini »