External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default USB WWAN sticks out/breaks off... solution? - 11-26-2008, 11:09 PM

I've got this little Sprint Novatel Wireless Modem:

Normally you just plug it in to one of the USB ports on the side, flip the antenna up, and connect. Works great. But with a laptop in the wild like the Dell Mini 9, whenever you're using the device on your lap, this will make you quite nervous, e.g. that you will snap the sucker off when the laptop slips off one of your legs a little.

If there were some way to attach the thing externally in a slightly safer way...

a) clip it to the side of the display somehow. if the clip has to be attached to the monitor permanently it needs to fold back and be nearly flat. then use a cable to connect it to the USB port.

b) use something like this the Belkin "flexible USB cable" (not) but different:

to attach the thing right alongside the keyboard. like it to be almost flush with the side of the computer though. and having a breakaway design (think MagSafe) would be even better. Or a flexible but stiff USB extender...

c) have an "internal" USB port. You'd have to wire up a USB connector to the ports on the WWAN connector, Then have room inside to install the device--the Novatel is almost 3/8ths of an inch thick, and too long without stripping it down. Then there's the antenna problem. Again the Novatel has an external antenna connection port, so this is solvable, but...

Anybody got a great idea here?

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#2) Old

Default Re: USB WWAN sticks out/breaks off... solution? - 11-26-2008, 11:34 PM

Something like this would work great:

Its the Engenius EUB-FLEX Flexible 6-Inch USB2.0 A/5-Pin/Mini-B Cable. Available for $12.99 from Amazon. Except for that pesky mini B male connector, when I need a full-size A female for the Novatel. Don't see any little mini B female to A female adapters around either...

Huh.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#3) Old

Default Re: USB WWAN sticks out/breaks off... solution? - 11-27-2008, 01:17 AM

I had one of those for a while. I had the same concerns so I used and extension cable that came with a USB flash drive I had. Simple and free if you have one.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: USB WWAN sticks out/breaks off... solution? - 11-27-2008, 02:14 PM

A small USB hub?

Deal Extreme have dozens to choose from: http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.306

All cheap, prices include shipping world-wide.

I think that I am going to order this one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13526

I have bought quite a few things from them and while the build quality has not been the greatest they have all worked really well. Delivery from HongKong to Canada has been about 3 weeks.

« Retractable Cordwinder for your charger | Microsoft Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000 »