External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default External drive - 10-04-2008, 05:13 AM

I'm pretty much a newbie at computers, but have ordered the Mini. When it arrives, what is the best way to download programs on CD's/DVD's? I know that you can purchase an external drive, but can you somehow hook up the Mini to a laptop or desktop and download the program through the other computers drive? Thank you!
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: External drive - 10-04-2008, 12:18 PM

At least in theory (not sure here) if you have a network set up then you could make your optical drive a shared drive and MAYBE install via THAT drive, but I can't remember having tried that.

I was going to say "what's the worst thing that could happen?" but we're dealing with computers here, so I won't tempt fate.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#3) Old

Default Re: External drive - 10-04-2008, 05:03 PM

Yeah, you can share an optical drive on one computer and map it as a network drive on another.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: External drive - 10-04-2008, 09:59 PM

At the risk of sounding even dumber... How does one accomplish this? I assume that you join the two computers via their USB ports?
  (#5) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: External drive - 10-04-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Von
At the risk of sounding even dumber... How does one accomplish this? I assume that you join the two computers via their USB ports?
it would have to be via a network. At the very leas for a home user you'd require a special kind of network cable or quitesimply a hub.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: External drive - 10-04-2008, 10:31 PM

It would be done over your home's network (either wired or wireless would work fine) and the Mini and your other computer already have all that they would need to do it. there isn't an "out of the box" option that would work with USB (you'd need a special cable and software on both computers).

there's several steps to getting a home network up and running, so take a look at some of these links, see how you make out, and if you hit any roadblocks let us know and someone can help you out.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: External drive - 10-05-2008, 02:07 AM

Thanks guys (gals ?). I appreciate all your help. I'm anxious to get going, once I receive my Mini. Best of luck with yours!
  (#8) Old

Default Re: External drive - 10-10-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Von
Thanks guys (gals ?). I appreciate all your help. I'm anxious to get going, once I receive my Mini. Best of luck with yours!
just an extra information to that.
it does not work if u plan to use it as a boot CD... only as regular drive.
it's quite easy once ur network is up and running.

I listen to my desktop songs with the mini in the kitchen through the network... just perfect!
  (#9) Old

Default Re: External drive - 10-11-2008, 06:12 AM

I've setup .exe's on my desktop D: drive allowed sharing and acccess it through my home network

Studio 1458 | Fingerprint magnet black Windows 7
Diztop D945GCLF2 | dual-core Intel® Atom™ processor 330
  (#10) Old

Default Re: External drive (External CD) - 02-04-2009, 01:51 AM

From time to time, Iomega (store.iomega.com) outlet has an external usb CD burner available for $13.95 + shipping (less than $20 for me). It works OK, of course no dvd. I have used it on my Mini without any problems. I have only used it as a reader, but I expect their burning software or a third party tool like Nero would work OK.

I just used it to boot a CD to image the initial install before wiping the disk and reinstalling the OS.

Anyway, I recommend that Iomega external CD burner. It is solidly built. However, it's not something slim you would want to lug around with you. Just something cost effective you might connect at home if you need to install, burn or access something from/to CD.

Sharing a CD on another system might work, but introduce a lot of network latency.

pg

« cheapest external dvd rw drive , keyboard and mouse? | Dell USB Digital TV Tuner for Inspiron Mini - when? »