External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default What to do with your old SSD. - 08-17-2009, 09:42 PM

I was recently in the market for a new 8GB USB flash drive when I remembered that I had an old 32GB Crucial SSD lying around doing nothing, so I decided to look at converting the Crucial into a USB drive.

My search led me to the MP1: MP1*Mini PCI-E / PCI-E adapter A mini PCI-E to PCI-E/USB adapter. With shipping the adapter came out to around $32 ($19 after an old PayPal rebate from buying my RunCore), which is just slightly cheaper than a 32GB flash drive. I just purchased this and will report back when I have tested it.

This may not be for everyone considering the cost involved (especially if you only have a 4GB drive lying around and no PayPal Rebate), but for me this was a good solution, and I just thought I'd share.

Black Mini 9 | 32GB Runcore | 2GB Crucial RAM | Windows 7
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 08-17-2009, 10:58 PM

Others have had the same idea as you. Prepare to be disappointed. The connector for the SSD is MiniPCIe physically, but it's not electrically.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 08-18-2009, 04:15 AM

Is this electrical discrepancy specific to drives made for the Dell Mini, or for all Mini PCI-E SSDs? The description states that the adapter will work for all SSDs, so if it's wrong, I'll definitely be sending it back. Either way I'll post the results. Thanks for the heads up!

(#4) Old
Administrator

Default 08-18-2009, 01:31 PM

The description mainly talks about USB-connected MiniPCI cards. I know it says SSD, but I think that is wishful thinking on part of the description writer.

The SSD for the Mini 9 is connected to a PATA controller on the motherboard. The MiniPCIe form factor is there for convenience and cost savings. Even the USB pins, normally available for MiniPCIe, are not hooked up in the Mini9 and the Mini-compatible SSDs don't use them. (The RunCore SSD for the Asus Eee does, as the Eee wires those pins for USB, but I don't know if you can access the SSD that way.)

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#5) Old

Default 08-19-2009, 08:09 AM

Well, after searching through the forum and seeing this thread: Access to content on removed SSD I cancelled my order. Thank you again for the help!

« 7" USB monitor works with OSX Mini 9 hackboook | Anyone got the Dell Digital TV Receiver? (USB) »