External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old
Expert Member

Default USB cooling pads. - 11-24-2008, 10:24 PM

I tried out a USB-powered cooling pad under my mini 9 the other day, mostly because it went on clearance REALLY cheap, but also because I noticed my Mini gets very warm when doing things like watching video on Hulu over a wireless connection.
Major difference! The cooling is quite noticeable!
It's also useful when I'm using my Mini 9 for Skype over long periods of time when gaming on my desktop PC.
That's another time when the heat builds up.

Here's the one I'm using:

I've modified the cooling pad by simply removing the two sliding panels entirely, since the Mini 9 doesn't need them and it reduces the footprint of the thing by quite a bit.
The fans push air up into the bottom vents. I even can feel a little air exiting the small side vent on the right of my Mini 9.
I'm getting ready to disconnect the annoying blue LED, and possibly make one of the fans switched as well.
With one fan it's still cooled well, and makes half the fan noise!

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#2) Old

Default Re: USB cooling pads. - 11-24-2008, 11:00 PM

I understand what you're after, but one of my favorite features of the Mini is it's silent operation. I ALWAYS place the Mini on a firm, flat surface to allow plenty of air circulation, and I've never had it get too (or even very) warm. eg, when I'm on the couch and the Mini is on my lap, I put it on a National Geographic magazine, which is just the right size and sturdy enough to allow clearance.

Glad your cooling pad worked well for you, though.

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#3) Old

Default Re: USB cooling pads. - 11-24-2008, 11:09 PM

Rather than powering your cooling from the Dell Mini's Power Supply, I suggest picking up one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Belkin-Mini-Surg...1%7C240%3A1318

I got mine at Fry's Electronics, if you don't like eBay. It's really small, so it fits in most portable case setups too.

Mini 9 - 2GB Mem, 64GB (the old slow one) SSD, XP Home from scratch
  (#4) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: USB cooling pads. - 11-24-2008, 11:18 PM

I do notice the fan noise, so this might not be a permanent addition.

Fun to play with for the price though.

(#5) Old

Default Re: USB cooling pads. - 11-25-2008, 03:20 PM

I carry a LaptopDesk (www.laptopdesk.net) with my Thinkpad, there's a pocket on the back of my bag that holds it perfectly. I'd love to have one for the mini 9, but even though they make an ultra light Laptopdesk it still measures 11" X 11" folded and that won't fit my STM bag for the mini. It does have the advantage of being unpowered and it doubles as a lapdesk and a stand to raise the laptop to a comfortable typing angle.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope 9.04 (Full version) with Cairo Dock, 16GB Runcore SSD, 1GB RAM, 8GB SDHC Class 6, Bluetooth (dongle), Burl Walnut skin
  (#6) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: USB cooling pads. - 11-25-2008, 03:42 PM

Hoo boy, I have to agree the fan noise is completely unacceptable over long periods of time. -quite annoying! :x

Fun and cheap to play with, but ultimately a no go for me.

(#7) Old

Default Re: USB cooling pads. - 02-13-2009, 06:05 PM

Does it matter if the fans blow up or suck down? I'm guessing not. I know if I added a "suck" type to my big laptop (an inspiron 8200) it would overheat faster since it draws air from the bottom for traditional cooling.
  (#8) Old
Administrator

Default Re: USB cooling pads. - 02-13-2009, 06:09 PM

Since the Mini has no internal fans, it may not matter as much. I'd suggest that the "suck" direction would probably be better for the Mini to exhaust warm air from around the memory, SSD and wireless cards. You can't do much for the CPU and chipset.

I have not found any kind of fan to be helpful. I do have a pad that elevates the back edge a bit creating some more airspace underneath and that's good for a few degrees.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#9) Old

Default Re: USB cooling pads. - 02-13-2009, 06:50 PM

When I use the Mini while in bed (like the other day when I was sick), I prefer to not put it directly on the comforter between my lap and the Mini since it will stifle any air flow. I already have one of these Antec Notebook Coolers and it works quite well:

You can usually find them for $10 after rebate every now and then.

It does the job and and since the Mini is so small, it's easier to keep it on my lap being that the cooler is wider and made for standard 15" notebooks. The fans are faintly audible when set to "Low". However, the 4 rubber "nipples" on each corner of the cooler (not installed/shown in the photo above from some odd reason) are useless since they are meant to suspend a larger notebook.

That said, when I place the mini over the cooler's two fans, I can tell it creates somewhat of a vacuum since there's insufficient clearance made by the mini's rubber feet. The cooler does exhaust out to the sides and not straight down, which is beneficial.

Someone needs to design a "netbook cooler". I'll bet that some companies are already working on it.

Dell Inspiron 1750, T6600, 4GB RAM, Wireless N
  (#10) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: USB cooling pads. - 02-16-2009, 02:28 PM

I was thinking of one that attached/clipped to the side vent. Instead of blowing air in, it sucked the heat out. Not sure what it would look like but it would have to be very efficient at its job so it wouldn't make very much noise. I think it would work a little better since it drew the heat out from the "hot" side of the passive heat sink thus keeping it from overheating the CPU. Eh just a idea ..... if anybody wants to use it, be my guest.

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid

« Anyone got the Dell Digital TV Receiver? (USB) | DIY Mini 9 Skin »