External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#21) Old
Expert Member

Default 08-26-2009, 02:56 PM

The more I use it the more I like the Thermapad cooler. Today I got an email from Froobi with the 15" pad on sale. I use that folded in half with my mini9. They come in black, silver(white) and pink. I own a black one. Here are some sale prices I've found...

Froobi.com ThermaPAK HeatShift Laptop Cooler! Keep your Laptop Cool! (15″ Black)

They also make a smaller 13" version:

Heatshift Thermapak Laptop Pad 13'' - HS13C - Buy.com

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#22) Old

Default 08-26-2009, 05:14 PM

I doubt the mini produces enough heat radiating through the bottom of the unit to make any noticable effect with that phase changing pad. It requires hours of use with a 15" laptop to produce the effect it's marketing, now extrapolate that to the power output of the mini vs a common 15" notebook.

Obviously the air flow in the unit is not optimal for convection, or the bottom of the unit wouldn't get so hot. The bottom vents should have a net air flow that is sucking air into it. If you want to have any noticeable effect on cooling the hardware, you either have to cool the air down (from ambient) or increase the velocity of the air moving through the unit.

If you want to stay silent, you really only have two options.

1. add or expand vents throughout the chassis. If you're willing to do this, then you might as well upgrade the heat spreader across your chips and add any heatsinks you can to any other chip on the board that you can fit.

2. use peltiers via an external pad sitting just below the bottom vents. This will allow you to use a large passive heatsink on the hot side exposed directly to outside air and away from any intake vents of the mini, while cooling the air right at the bottom vents significantly. The temp difference between hot and cold inside and directly outside of the vents will have two effects, 1, the density difference will increase the air velocity into the mini, and 2, the temperature difference will obviously remove more heat from the hardware. mimicking running your mini in an air conditioned room vs ambient.

Also, if you haven't noticed your mini getting hot then you either haven't been using it or you always use it in AC. in 80-90F ambient temps i've had it up in the 74C range while sitting on a flat surface, or while just hovered in air in my hand.

mini 9 : Debian Unstable : 2GB ram : Atheros wifi
  (#23) Old
Administrator

Default 08-26-2009, 08:00 PM

I have a phase-change cooling pad. It works great for about 15 minutes but then fails to keep up with the heat.

The best solution I have found is a stand that increases the air gap and allows air to flow into the bottom - I have one from Cables Unlimited (FANNBCOOL3) which comes with a clip-on fan that I find isn't helpful. It is a simple perforated aluminum plate at an angle. I get about a 10C reduction using it.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Anyone got the Dell Digital TV Receiver? (USB) | DIY Mini 9 Skin »