External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#11) Old

Default Re: USB cooling pads. - 02-20-2009, 08:12 PM

im currently using rocketfish laptop cooling stand $12 @ ebay. quiet and with a little diy it perfectly fits the mini9.

[attachment=2:3gex4s2p]cooler.jpg[/attachment:3gex4s2p]
[attachment=1:3gex4s2p]cooler4.jpg[/attachment:3gex4s2p]
[attachment=0:3gex4s2p]minicooler.jpg[/attachment:3gex4s2p]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooler.jpg (126.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg cooler4.jpg (112.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg minicooler.jpg (126.7 KB, 66 views)
  (#12) Old

Default Re: USB cooling pads. - 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM

A couple more pictures. cooling stand with mini9
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minicooler1.jpg (120.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg minicooler2.jpg (109.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg minicooler3.jpg (117.9 KB, 35 views)
  (#13) Old

Default 06-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Sorry for bringing this thread all the way up, but is it there any cooling pad for a netbook like Dell Mini 9? Or do we just have to use a notebook cooling pad?

The cooling pad from the previous post looks pretty good, but I'm from Portugal and the british eBay doesn't have that one.
  (#14) Old

Default Dope-Looking Mini9/Netbook Cooling Pad (7"-10") - 06-20-2009, 03:33 AM

I discovered this recently-released cooling pad, it looks pretty nice and has a 4-USB hub on the backside. I'm going to pull the trigger and will report back my thoughts. Stay tuned:

Amazon.com: Cooler Master Choiix Mini Air-Through Notebook Cooling Pad with USB Hub: Electronics

UPDATE 1 6/19: trigger pulled.
  (#15) Old
Expert Member

Default 06-20-2009, 04:06 AM

I have 2, although 1 isn't USB. I have the Thermaltake pad from my large laptop case. ThermaPAK 15" HeatShift Cooling Laptop Bag $36 - dealmac.com

They sell the pad itself loose and its called the iXoft pad. It uses an organic crystal that takes the heat from the laptop as the crystal melts, changing from crystal to liquid. It absorbs quite a bit of heat and is quite nice on my lap, folded in half.

But when I'm working at a table I used this small USB powered cooling pad which is rather cheap only $7.99. Its designed for small notebooks so it is quite a bit smaller than most pads I've seen.

Black Notebook Cooler Pad with Two Built-in 80 mm Fans for 7 - 13" Laptop by

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#16) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Made my own little cooler - 06-22-2009, 04:02 PM

I had some extra cooling fans for a PC case and a worthy box (the dell box my mini came in) so i made a few mods to the box and screwed in a couple of fans that pulled warm air away/into the box and out the rear exhaust vents. Its bulky and crude but it works wonderfully. I'm thinking of trying to find a way to make this more "mobile" so i can use it while traveling but time will tell. So a sturdy box, a couple of small fans about 3 inch in diameter and a need or want to have a cooler running netbook while at home. It took a total of id say 30 minutes to cut all the holes and then tape the seams. I didnt need to tape it up but i did it anyway. Just a idea in case somebody else doesnt likes what they see on the market and has the spare parts to umm spare.

Good Luck and Happy Mini modding

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#17) Old

Default 06-24-2009, 05:01 PM

for what its worth i got this beauty off of ebay for less than 8$ shipped. yes, the lights are somewhat annoying (if i wasnt lazy i could probably turn them off) but it will also fit my larger laptop, an i6400, so im happy
  (#18) Old

Default 06-24-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gHost View Post
I discovered this recently-released cooling pad, it looks pretty nice and has a 4-USB hub on the backside. I'm going to pull the trigger and will report back my thoughts. Stay tuned:

Amazon.com: Cooler Master Choiix Mini Air-Through Notebook Cooling Pad with USB Hub: Electronics

UPDATE 1 6/19: trigger pulled.
This product looks promising! Do come back and share your review. I may actually pull the trigger on this one as well.

Otherwise, I was leaning on getting the Antec.

Kevin
  (#19) Old

Default Choiix Mini Air-Through Notebook Cooling Pad Review - 07-02-2009, 06:13 AM

Hello Fellow Mini9 Geekers,

Well, my Cooler Master Choiix Mini Air-Through Notebook Cooling Pad with USB Hub (heretofore let's just call it the 'Mini A-T' for short, shall we?) arrived a few days ago, and I've had a chance to use it enough to share my thoughts.

But first, a few unboxing photos:

The cooling pad comes in a really nifty-looking box, and it leaves you with the sense that you've purchased a quality product.

The cooling pad comes with a mini-USB to USB for powering the unit, as well as the four ports on the rear. The USB hub works like a charm, although I haven't tried running all four concurrently. the unit also comes with adhesive rubber feet that can be attached to the aluminum face of the cooling pad, to provide more airflow and prevent slippage. My mini9 is very stable on the pad without using them, however, so I chose not to.

The stylish design is impressive and simple. The marketing tag-line on the box calls the cooling pad "small and exquisite," and I'll hand it to the Chinese manufacturer, it's pretty elegantly designed. It's a little wider than the mini9 (see photo), but it doesn't detract from the overall look. It feels like it was made for the mini9.

Now, on to the most important aspect: performance. This cooling unit simply works. It does an adequate job of keeping airflow and cooling my mini9, and on top of that, it's super-quiet. I still detect a minimal amount of warmth around the palmrest areas, but it's cool around the keyboard, where before my mini would get hot. Very hot!

My only nitpick might be that the cable supplied with the Mini A-T is a touch longer than needed, and had to bind it in order to minimize the splay of the cord. That's about it for gripes so far, though.

Overall, I'm very happy with this bad boy. On a scale of 1/10, I'd definitely rate it at about a 9. A mini9!

-gHost
  (#20) Old

Default 07-02-2009, 11:16 AM

Sweet-looking! Thanks for sharing!

Kevin

« Anyone got the Dell Digital TV Receiver? (USB) | DIY Mini 9 Skin »