External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#1) Old

Default Hauppauge HVR-950Q- any advantage to Dell drivers/app over OEM Hauppauge? - 07-26-2009, 09:05 PM

I have a Hauppauge HVR-950Q TV stick that I use with my Mini 9, currently running WinTV6. Checking the Dell support site for updates I see that there is a driver and application package for the Dell TV tuner which is known to be a Hauppauge unit. Does anyone know if the drivers are compatible with the 950Q, and if so if there is any benefit to using them instead of the Hauppauge ones?
Is the app Win TV 7? I have tried 7 as downloaded from the Hauppauge site, but it tended to crash a lot so I went back to 6.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder View Post
I have a Hauppauge HVR-950Q TV stick that I use with my Mini 9, currently running WinTV6. Checking the Dell support site for updates I see that there is a driver and application package for the Dell TV tuner which is known to be a Hauppauge unit. Does anyone know if the drivers are compatible with the 950Q, and if so if there is any benefit to using them instead of the Hauppauge ones?
Is the app Win TV 7? I have tried 7 as downloaded from the Hauppauge site, but it tended to crash a lot so I went back to 6.
Dell Mini 10 TV Tuner Antennas Coming Through

Any Dell drivers would just be rebadged hauppauge drivers anyways so you are probably better off sticking with the latest hauppauge drivers and WinTV app...

(#3) Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-26-2009, 09:20 PM

Drivers and Downloads

If that is the download from Dell you are talking about, I wouldn't recommend it since it uses an older driver v1.86.26344.0 compared to latest driver pictured below. It also just included WinTV6 as well so really no benefit IMHO...

(#4) Old

Default 07-27-2009, 12:13 AM

Yeah that's the one. I was just wondering if the Dell drivers might be optimized for the Mini and maybe work a bit better than the OEM ones. But if they're older, that's unlikely.
I've been having some issues even with 6 crashing occasionally, but 7 was worse. And I'm not certain, but this may have something to do with BIOS A05, I don't recall having these issues with A04.
Anyway thanks for the reply, I won't bother with the Dell release.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM

Microsoft Update Catalog

FWIW: Did manage to find a newer HVR-950 & HVR-850 Vista/Win7 driver at the above link. Just make sure to sort by date for latest driver and select the smaller (379kb) for 32-bit driver...larger 410kb is the 64-bit version!

(#6) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 12:39 AM

Thanks, I grabbed the ones for XP- only one version of those. Not sure if it's going to make any difference but what the heck.
  (#7) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 02:57 PM

I'd be extremely careful in using those. While some HVR-850s and -950s use the same chipset as the 950Q, not all of them do. You may be trying to install a chipset for a driver that isn't designed for your tuner.

For those that have the Dell TV Tuner, could any of you use a liveusb linux distro and run the following command in the terminal? Just to find out what chipset the TV Tuner card uses.

dmesg | grep TV*

That should tell us what the chipset is.

Dell Mini 9 Obsidian 2GB RAM Windows XP, Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS on 4 GB USB Stick.
  (#8) Old

Default 07-28-2009, 11:53 PM

If you're addressing me, I do have a 950Q and that's what these drivers are supposed to be for. I have installed them and they do work, can't say if they are an improvement over the old ones but so far no worse.

« Worlds Smallest USB Drive | Pretty cool video of an SSD getting manufactured »