External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#21) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 02-07-2009, 03:35 AM

thanks for the info on the ADATA SD cards!

as for the card reader in the Mini 9: have you had any problems? i mean mine worked (ie. recognised the card) up until today when i went to put it back in and nothing..tried another card, and also nothing....so tested both cards in another computer and they worked.....then found another post re: a driver, so installed that and initially the SD card didn't come up, then now it works!?!?!

any ideas?

cheers

Mini 9 (Alpine White), 16GB SSD, 2GB (Kingston), Windows 7
  (#22) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 02-07-2009, 04:23 AM

My experience with the ADATA 16gb card hasn't been as great as some mentioned. After 4 days it corrupted all of the files on it and will not format to ntfs now. It will only format to fat32. When I try to format to ntfs I get errors. I am going to try to rma it back to Newegg.
  (#23) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 02-07-2009, 05:40 AM

picked up a 16GB Sandisk Ultra II, so hopefully that goes ok!

(#24) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 02-07-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttttt
picked up a 16GB Sandisk Ultra II, so hopefully that goes ok!
I got one of those to replace a defective Adata one with, couldnt be happier

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#25) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 02-07-2009, 11:50 PM

don't think my card reader problem was related to the cards (tried 4 different one's that were working on other computers)....but after a few days of no problem, it just started not recognising the sd card; this was under the stock XP install and it 'seemed' to improve when i installed a driver (under chipset on the Dell site)...but it was still occasionally dropping out...

...well decided to give Windows 7 a go on the Dell Mini 9, and apart from one time (when I was plugging in and out the different USB devices (DVD drive, flash drive, etc), the SD card (& card reader) seems to be going well. I am going to leave the Sandisk card in there full time (rather than use it in & out like a flash drive) and have it as my data (music, photo's etc) storage...i have all my apps on the 16gb SSD and with W7 there's tad under 5gb free (after some tweaks).

still interested if others are having some issues with either the SD cards OR the actual card reader.

cheers

(#26) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 02-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Just ordered a 16GB SDHC, amazon arn't to bad for price!
  (#27) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 02-11-2009, 01:12 AM

I ordered a 8GB MicroSD card by Transcend from newegg. $16.59 shipped. I plan on primarily using it in my cellphone, but it comes with an SD adapter, so if I need to use it in the Mini, I have that option. Since I'm using my Mini primarily in the campus library, I can access my music and what not through Remote Desktop, which works fine on Windows 7 (I'm remoting into my Win XP Pro laptop in my dorm room). I feel a bit guilty about leaving the machine on in my room (needless power consumption, but I figure that if the hard drive's only being accessed while I'm remoted in, well, it shouldn't consume too much power while lying idle.

Dell Mini 9 (refurb), Alpine White, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD, Windows 7, Office Enterprise 2007. Free Space left: 932 MB.
  (#28) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: SD Cards... - 02-15-2009, 02:28 AM

I just picked up a 8gig SDHC Ultra 2 made by SanDisk, Mainly for viewing movies and what-not while I'm away from the house. I would love to have my entire collection with me but its nearly 50 gigs in size. I was thinking of getting a external 2.5"HDD enclosure and installing a 128 or a 256gig SSD inside. Seems a bit extreme but its way more durable than a traditional rotating drive AND since I'll only be adding files to it and watching them when I can, I think it will last a very long time.

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid

« Decal Girl come on down!!! | Projector for Mini »