External Accessories / Peripherals Discuss any accessories used to enhance your Dell Inspiron Mini experience.

(#11) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 10-18-2008, 07:01 AM

i benchmarked several different vendor SD cards... will post the results when I get back home beginning of next week
  (#12) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 11-10-2008, 12:24 PM

Man have I got the best link for us all!

Anybody ever hear of ecost? I have shopped from there for months... no, just over a year now and I always get my order timely.

Anyways here is the jump. Enjoy!!... And dont hate me for not telling you soooooooner!

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecdm/

Oh! And they have a ton of great deals on everything else too.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 11-10-2008, 12:59 PM

interesting,they have the 32G Sandisk Ultra II (tho out of stock)...

Newegg is laggin a bit on the SD cards,they only have 2 class 4 32G

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#14) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 11-10-2008, 03:08 PM

The thing that you should find interesting about the 32GB Sandisk Ultra II SDHC card is that ecost is selling it (were it in stock, that is) for $100 OVER MSRP according to Sandisk's website.

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...ance_Card.aspx

Thanks but no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeth_03
interesting,they have the 32G Sandisk Ultra II (tho out of stock)...

Newegg is laggin a bit on the SD cards,they only have 2 class 4 32G

Matt || Inspiron Mini 9 || 2 GB G.Skill RAM || 16 GB SSD || Windows XP Pro SP3
  (#15) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: SD Cards... - 11-11-2008, 12:56 PM

I've come to the conclusion that if the main use of my SDHC card is in a low cost netbook like the Mini 9 for things like media storage, I can EASILY deal with the differences in speeds between SanDisk cards and less expensive SDHC cards offered by other manufacturers.
For playing back DivX files and music a Class 2 card has worked perfectly in testing.

I've been buying inexpensive PQI-branded Class 6 SDHC cards online and haven't had any reliability issues, though they benchmark lower in the Class 6 range than the SanDisk cards do.

Believe me, I'm enough of a geek that I'd buy the SanDisk cards in a heartbeat if I could afford 'em, just to know in my head that the performance is there, but the sad fact is that I cannot, which has lead me to try other brands with some success.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#16) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 12-06-2008, 11:47 PM

Have people benchmarked these things in actual use? I've got a SanDisk Ultra II 8GB card that I normally use, and my wife's camera has a 4GB SanDisk Extreme III Class 6 4GB card. I benchmarked both by copying an episode of Top Gear from the SSD to the card, and it took about the same amount of time (43-45 seconds) in both cases. I have to say I saw NO difference in this little benchmark, which is the sort of thing I use the SD card for, so I'm not sure why I would pay for higher performance.

I ran ATTO on both cards and the Ultra II tops out at 18,027 read, 18,360 write on the Dell Mini 9. The Extreme III tops out at 19,423 read, 23,860 write. So while the Class 6 benchmarks faster, for big sequential file copies to/from the SSD it isn't actually any quicker. :?

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#17) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 12-06-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanfoot
Have people benchmarked these things in actual use? I've got a SanDisk Ultra II 8GB card that I normally use, and my wife's camera has a 4GB SanDisk Extreme III Class 6 4GB card. I benchmarked both by copying an episode of Top Gear from the SSD to the card, and it took about the same amount of time (43-45 seconds) in both cases. I have to say I saw NO difference in this little benchmark, which is the sort of thing I use the SD card for, so I'm not sure why I would pay for higher performance.

I haven't actually benchmarked it, but I think the rule of thumb is that if you need fast write time you are going to pay for it.

As strider pointed out in the previous post, if you are just playing media then the cheaper cards work great. I have an HD video camera and 12 Megapixel still camera that use SD cards...I just pop them into the Mini, and I'm able to read quickly and to play full resolution HD videos (which run about 40MB per minute!) in Mplayer.

That being said, if I make edits and want to save them back to the card it takes FOREVER.

Same goes for my digital audio recording experiement. The CPU and the SSD are capable of multitrack audio recording (I have tried 12 simultaneous tracks on a live band) but I do not want to use my SSD for this type of rugged I/O because it will probably die. So I tried a regular SD card...and it can't even handle recording a basic two track stereo audio file.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 12-06-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mancine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanfoot

I haven't actually benchmarked it, but I think the rule of thumb is that if you need fast write time you are going to pay for it...theoretically. I'm not sure why it didn't work in your case.

As strider pointed out in the previous post, if you are just playing media then the cheaper cards work great. I have an HD video camera and 12 Megapixel still camera that use SD cards...I just pop them into the Mini, and I'm able to read quickly and to play full resolution HD videos (which run about 40MB per minute!) in Mplayer.

That being said, if I make edits and want to save them back to the card it takes FOREVER.

Same goes for my digital audio recording experiement. The CPU and the SSD are capable of multitrack audio recording (I have tried 12 simultaneous tracks on a live band) but I do not want to use my SSD for this type of rugged I/O because it will probably die. So I tried a regular SD card...and it can't even handle recording a basic two track stereo audio file.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 02-06-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce
.....I got a few A-Data 16 GB SDHC for $36 each....
just wondering how thw A-Data SD cards are going? Reliable and recommended?

cheers

Mini 9 (Alpine White), 16GB SSD, 2GB (Kingston), Windows 7
  (#20) Old

Default Re: SD Cards... - 02-07-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttttt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce
.....I got a few A-Data 16 GB SDHC for $36 each....
just wondering how thw A-Data SD cards are going? Reliable and recommended?

cheers
I've been using my AData 16 gb SDHC card since I got my Mini. I leave it in the SD slot and use it as my documents/music/photos storage. No issues at all.

« Decal Girl come on down!!! | Projector for Mini »