Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10v with stable SL install - can I add a dual boot with Windows 8 CP? - 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM

Hi all,

Thread title says it all really - I'm new to hackintoshing (first post here!) but using the excellent guides here I got my 10v working flawlessly first try and updated to 10.6.7 with no issues. Mac App Store is working fine, sleep/wake is perfect and sound works with no issues. It's a fabulous little machine.

However, later this year I've agreed to do a demo of Windows 8 at a conference I'm attending to a small group of people, and I'd ideally like to set it up to dual boot on the 10v without wiping out my existing SL install - the 10v is my only laptop, and running Win 8 in virtualization would be a non-starter as the processor just couldn't handle it. I know it's possible to set up a Windows 7 dual boot after completing a SL install, but has anyone done it with Win 8 CP, and if so is it just a case of following the instructions for Win 7 or do I need to do anything else?

Thanks in advance for any help!
  (#2) Old
Default 05-14-2012, 12:47 PM

I don't think there would be a difference as long as you had some unused disk space (not in a partition).

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 05-15-2012, 10:30 PM

Thanks for that - unfortunately, I've hit a snag. I got Win 8 to install fine, then followed the guide on this site to install Win 7 with an existing SL install. Everything was OK, and I got to the command line in Win 8.

I then selected the SL partition and made it active, but now every time I boot all I get is a flashing cursor. Anyone got any ideas how I can fix this?

EDIT: fixed by running and downloading EasyBSD in Win 8 on the desktop and adding a Mac OSX boot. Updated Win 8 with Intel drivers to fix resolution issues (and let me fale 1024 x 768 to run Metro apps) and both are now running fine. Wahey!

Last edited by pr0nk; 05-16-2012 at 08:58 AM.

« Resize Windows & mac partitions? | Start with Windows, Add OS X- Guide to Dual Boot. »