Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Cloning SL/Win7 to a larger hd without empty space. - 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM

Anybody manage to clone a dual boot to a larger hard drive, in one go, without getting empty space? Is it at all possible?
Been trying Clonezilla but all I get is partitions of the same size and where the empty space should be a number of Gb Disk Utility reads 856 byte. Yes, proportional option ticked. Method used is drive to drive from my 10V to a USB HD.
  (#2) Old
Default 03-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Fairly easy, actually, with GParted running off linux live USB. . First format and partition the new drive to the sizes you want. And then use copy and paste.

Copying to existing partitions makes it so you are able to use the "empty" space.

I used to recommend ubuntu for this type of situation. But the latest version of Parted Magic is perfect as it has all the tools you need, no bulk.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup

Last edited by Oscar; 03-18-2011 at 10:18 AM.
  (#3) Old
Default 03-19-2011, 01:56 PM

Are you supposed to be able to copy and paste the EFI partition? Mine shows up in Disk Utility after copy and paste. Also get an error message that Gparted is currently unable to expand in to the new partion, eventhough it is the same size. Flagged it as "Boot" but it doesn't seem to work at all.

Apart from above everything functioned OK!

In order to make it work I did a basic install with SL and Win7 on the new hd. After that I used Gparted and that was successful!

Last edited by sedhm; 03-24-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Follow up

« MacOSX Snow Leopard / Win7 Dual Boot Success: Dell Mini10v | SL/Ubuntu OK, then fails: GRUB error: no such partition »