Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Dual Booting Issue - 01-09-2011, 04:01 PM

Hello All!
Recently, I upgraded my HDD to 500GB, so I figured I'd partition it and dual boot with Windows 7 (I already had Mac OS X SL installed as the sole OS). Now, I've installed WIndows 7, but I've run into a speedbump. Rather than the chameleon Bootloader appearing at startup, the netbook automatically boots into Windows 7 (which works flawlessly btw). How can I get the bootloader back so I can dual boot? Is my info on the other partition lost? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
  (#2) Old
Default 01-09-2011, 09:07 PM

The first thing to do is: check to see which drive is active. you can do so in Control Panel/ Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management tab..
If the Windows Partition is active, change it to make the Mac OS X partition active.

If you do this and the system won't boot up, you'll need to boot from your usb install stick, and run NBI on the Mac Partition.

(Have your USB install stick handy just in case).

If your Mac partition is already active and the system is booting into Win 7--which is unlikely, you may be better off using Easy BCD, and add an OS X entry. With Easy BCD you won't get the graphical boot loader (it's just text), but you will be able to get into OS X anyway.

I'm assuming you have your OS X install usb stick, which has the bootloader. If you don't, download this version of NBI: NBI_084RC1.img.zip , and use a program called Transmac (TransMac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com ) to write it to a usb drive (small one will do), this can be used as a boot loader, which should allow you to boot up into OS X. Once in there, run the NBI app that's in your Applications Folder.

Follow the second part of this guide to if you need help with Transmac: OS X 10.6.3 Retail DVD-->USB no MAC; A GUIDE

edit.. you may not be able to set the osx partition as active from within win 7. you can still do it, with Gparted. best way to run that, IMO, is the UBUNTU live usb.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#3) Old
Default 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM

have this issue everytime i redo my machine, as stated above check your active partition. This is def the culprit. Windows 7 by default switches the active partition to the windows 7 partition, thus using its boot.ini file. To fix this issue, boot using your OSX install usb, once in the installer program navagate to the utilities tab, terminal. Once in terminal type

diskutil list

Take note of the disk that has your OSX partition, in most cases it will be disk 0

next type

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

ignore the error message. next type

Take note of the number of the osx partition (hint the id of this partition will be AF) in my case it is partition 3 so i would type

F 3

once completed save changes by typing

then type Y (you are sure you want to do this)

then type exit

remove your install usb and reboot, you should now get the chameleon bootloader, by hitting space bar you can arrow over to yuor windows 7 install and boot it up.

Hope that helps you out.

Mini 10v A06, 2 gb ram, 1024X600, Flashed stock wifi to airport extreme, dual boot win 7, not that i use crapdows for very much lol...

boot, bootloader, chameleon, dual, windows 7

« Dual Boot: Installing OSX and Win 7 on the 10v these days. Jan 2011 | Dualboot XP and SL 10.6.3 problem »