Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default I've tried it all. (and still no luck) - 08-20-2010, 05:02 AM

I'll start with a brief history:
  • In January, I got the netbook and followed anguish's triple boot guide, everything worked fine.
  • In April/May, I updated itunes? or something and could no longer get osx to boot. Win7 and Ubuntu worked fine, but if I selected OSX I'd get the restart message/kernel panic screen
  • I tried fixing it a few ways without any luck, so I made a win7 usb and wiped the whole drive and installed win7.
  • Now I'd like to dual boot win7/osx.

I have access to the following:
  • 2 usb drives - 8gig and 16gig
  • a Windows pc
  • all the necessary files/tools - osx image (from DVD purchased in January), NBI 0.8.3 image, NBI 0.8.4 image, dd, imagewriter, etc.
  • lots of free time

I tried mechdrew's guide(all of the windows methods), but no matter how many times I try it, I get the same kernel panic screen. I then tried the jamesbarnhill method which resulted in the same thing.

I was convinced it was an error in creating the osx usb drive, but now I'm thinking it's not because I used the two usb method initially back in January (same drives, same tools, same images). In a week and a half or so, I will have access to my roommate's mac, as well as my SL dvd (I'm working with an image of it, I left the dvd in my apartment), so I will try using NBI the proper way then.

I'm not really sure what else you guys might need to know to help me. Here's a picture of the screen I'm getting, as well as a transcript.

Link to Image (The image was way too big for posting here - damn iphone 4 camera!)

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x558993): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1389
Debugger called: <panic>
(stack trace printed here)
BSD process name corresponding to ...(cutoff by restart message)
Mac OS version:
Not yet set (this part bothers me)
Kernel Version:
Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0: Fri J(cutoff)
System uptime in nanoseconds (cutoff)
Much thanks to whoever can assist me.

« Can I create a partition in Win 7 Prf and ADD MAC OS - how? | Dell mini 10v help with dual boot »