Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)
08-21-2010, 07:05 AM
You might also find some help or ideas in the Dual-Booting section of the Forum, which can be found here.
It is not something I have ever tried myself, but I am sure there is someone on here who will be able to assist.
P.S. Welcome to the Forum!
Join Date: Aug 2010
08-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Just did this myself yesterday, very simple, no need to wipe OSX:
1: In Snow Leopard, go to Disk Utility, create a 2nd partition and format it to FAT and rename it to something like Win7
2: Install Win7 via USB Pen to the Win7 partition
After Win7 is installed, at your reboot, Win7 will be the only OS, to fix this do the following:
- Open "Run" and type "cmd"
- type "diskpart"
- type "select disk 0"
- type "list partition"
- type "select partition X", where X is the number of HFS+ partition (large size + offset 200MB)
- type "active"
- type "exit"
- Unplug ALL the removable drives
- Plug in the USB pen which you used to install Snow Leopard and boot from this USB pen
- in the boot selection screen select OSX
- Once in OSX run the latest version of NetBookInstaller, and select to install the bootloader. (You can select the other options too if you require them, but make sure you DO NOT select Enable Quite Boot)
After this is installed, when you reboot you will get a selection screen, use the left/right arrow keys to select OSX or Win7
The above instructions has been slight adapted from this thread, and I do not take any credid for it:
Simple way to create Dual Boot : Snow Leopard and Windows 7
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Springs, CA
08-27-2010, 05:53 AM
Don't know if there's any new info/guides for XP. But I tried that myself some months ago. While there is a way to dual boot SL/XP, the only way I managed it was to back up SL, wipe the drive, install XP (MBR, on partition 1), and 'restore' SL to a second partition. You can find details in the dual boot section.
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.