Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Triple Boot OS X, WinXP, and Ubuntu - 06-17-2010, 06:15 PM

So after much frustration trying to do this setup and following several guides out there, I finally found a configuration that works well (at least for me) and I felt that I should share my experience with a guide. Also I should note that I have only done this on the Mini 10v so you are on your own trying this on any other machine. Also this was done with the latest Ubuntu (Lucid). There is a small step further down where other versions may cause issues, depending how old it is (or just some tweaks).

This being my first guide, please forgive me if I am unclear on anything and just post here if you have any questions. I'll try to update where I can. This is essentially a combination of Anguish's youtube guide on triple booting with windows 7 (instead of XP) as well as this Wind Guide - along with a few personal touches.

This guide will assume you have the following:

A USB drive with OS X installed and the latest NetbookBootmaker
A USB drive or CD with Ubuntu
A USB drive or CD with Windows XP

This guide will involve REFORMATTING your harddrive so BACK UP YOUR DATA.

1. Boot into your OS X USB Drive

2. Under Utilities, select Disk Utility

3. Select the Hard Drive this triple boot will be installed on.

4. Select the Partition Tab

5. Under Volume Scheme, Select 4 Partitions

6. IMPORTANT - Click Options at the bottom, and then select GUID Partition Table

7. Use the following Partition scheme (Note, I don't think this really matters but this setup seemed to work well for me, however the swap partition MUST be last)
- Partition 1: OSX : Mac OSX (Journaled)
- Partition 2: Ubuntu : MS-DOS (FAT32)
- Partition 3: WindowsXP : MS-DOS (FAT32)
- Partition 4: Swap : MS-DOS (FAT32)

Don't worry about those partitions being FAT32 for now, we will change it later.

8. Click Apply, and exit the Disk Utility.

9. Install OS X as you normally would. Continue until you reach a running OS X desktop.

10. Reboot with the Ubuntu media. Make sure you select try without installing.

11. Once booted into Ubuntu, download and install gptsync and refit for your build of Ubuntu. I will supply the links for Lucid:

12. Click on System -> Administration -> GParted. We will now format those FAT32 partitions to what we need them to be. Change the partitions as follows (if you have a different volume scheme than me from above, adjust it accordingly) - DO NOT CHANGE THE EFI PARTITION - it is used by GUID table:
/dev/sda3 : ext4
/dev/sda4 : ntfs
/dev/sda5 : linux-swap

13. Click the green checkmark to apply your changes, and then start the Ubuntu Install.

14. Continue the prompts normally until the partition screen. Select Partition the Disk Manually.

15. Select the ext4 partition and click Change. Set the Mount Point to / and check the Format checkbox.

16. IMPORTANT (taken from the Wind Guide) - Continue with the install wizard. When you reach the Ready to install screen, click Advanced, and set Device for boot loader to "/dev/sda3" - your ext4 partition. Click Ok, then Install.

17. IMPORTANT - when the install finishes, do not click reboot. Instead, open a terminal window and type the following and then select yes at the prompts:
sudo gptsync /dev/sda
18. with the terminal window still open, type the following:
sudo fdisk /dev/sda
19. type p and hit enter. You should see a list of your partitions. One of which should have an asterisk. That partition should be your NTFS partition that will be used, if it is not you will need to consult the fdisk manual on how to change that.

20. If the correct partition is shown as active, press w to write it to disk.

21. Now it is safe to reboot into the Windows XP Media. Complete the Windows XP Install as you normally would.

22. after Windows XP is finished installing, you will notice it is the only OS you can boot too. That's ok, we will change that now. When you have reached your active desktop, click on Start-> Run and type cmd and hit enter. This will open the command prompt.

23. Type 'diskpart' without the quotes and hit enter. This will take you into the windows disk partition utility.

24. type 'list disk' without the quotes and hit enter. You should see a list of disks on your machine. Disk 0 should be the one we want (the HDD that is being partitioned). Type 'select disk 0' and hit enter.

25. type 'list partition' without the quotes and hit enter. You should now see a list of 4 partitions on your machine. If you followed my guide exactly, The partition with OSX on it should be partition 2 (partition 1 is the EFI partition mentioned earlier).

26. type 'select partition 2' (or if you didn't follow me exactly, the number of your OSX partition) and hit enter.

27. Now simply type 'active' and hit enter. This will set the OSX partition to the active partition.

28. You should now be able to Reboot into the Chameleon Bootloader, where you can select which operating system you want to boot into. Test all 3 of them to make sure they work. If they do, you have successfully completed the triple boot process.

Some notes - if you upgrade your OSX install at any time, or if you make any changes at all to your partition table (or if you get invalid partition errors or general boot errors for windows xp/Ubuntu), you will need to boot into a Ubuntu live cd and repeat steps 17 - 27 to fix your MBR.

And that's it. I hope this is helpful to someone.

« SL/ Vista/ Win 7 triple | NBI 8.4rc1 chameleon version »