Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Stuck in Snow Leopard - 05-12-2010, 07:08 AM

I've installed Mac OS X Snow Leopard a few months ago, and at the same time, I couldn't install Windows 7 on my Dell Mini 10v even when I followed the instructions in this forum. So I just left Windows 7 aside.

Now my Dell Mini 10v is completely in Mac format (HDD partitions).

I just would like to know
  • Can I install Windows 7 now?
  • if yes, how to?
I don't mind if I can't install Windows 7. I'm completely enjoying this awesome operating system though. But some cool applications are available only on Windows.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-22-2010, 09:12 AM

No one knows? or there's no way to install Windows 7?
  (#3) Old
Default 05-26-2010, 08:27 PM

You could use this modified version of boot camp like I did with WinXP. Once you're done though you'll have reinstall Chameleon and make the Snow Leopard partition active. Open "run" and type "cmd".
- type "diskpart"
- type "select disk 0"
- type "list partition"
- type "select partition X", where X is the number of HFS+ partition
- type "active"
- type "exit"

No guarantees that this will work with Win7 but it's worth a shot.

WARNING: Make sure that your disk was formatted with a GUID partition scheme. Otherwise the patched bootcamp will not work.

Black Dell Mini 10v | BIOS A05 | WinXP SP3 l MAC OS X 10.6.7 l 1GB RAM | NetbookInstaller BLAHBLAH | 23" External Display | 28GB External Time Machine HDD |
  (#4) Old
Default 05-27-2010, 06:17 AM

Fear not . . . there is a way to accomplish this, the method is a bit couter intuitive, and involves backing up your drive, reformatting, installing win7, and then restoring os x from your back up. There's a few utilities you will need to make things painless-- or, as painless as possible. But it is doable. I think I found all I needed on a thread on tripple booting.

If you're still interested in undertaking this endever, post again, and i'll find dig up the detailed information.

I myself did this very thing..... so I can tell you for certain, it can be done.

« dual boot with Win 7 already installed ? | n00b question re: SL/XP »