Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Is it possible to install W7 from a W7 installed hard drive? - 04-08-2010, 12:37 AM

Dell Mini 10V newbie here trying to get a OSX & WIN7 dual boot going.

I first removed the 160GB hard drive that came from Dell with WIN7 loaded. I replaced it with a 320GB hard drive and successfully installed OSX (Snow Leopard). It took me a few tries and now I can't remember if I used GUID or MBR.

I used Disk Utility in OSX to make a 2nd partition and have been trying all sorts of ways to get WIN7 installed, and always a FAIL.

I do not have a WIN7 install CD. I have my original 160GB hard drive with WIN7 loaded, and I do have a cable/power setup so that I can attached the drive externally via USB.

I also have the Dell Restore CD.

I was hoping that I could do a Restore from Disk Utility using my 160GB WIN7 drive (externally) as the Source, and the 2nd partition on my internal 320GB drive as the Destination. But I don't know how to make it boot from the 2nd partition.

So is it possible, or has anyone had any luck installing WIN7 after OSX via an external WIN7 hard drive?

(#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 04-08-2010, 01:41 AM

you will need a genuine Windows 7 install disk either in an external DVD drive or on a USB Flash Drive, the restore disk will format your drive and bascially restore your machine back to day 1....sorry, and no it cant not be restored from your origianl 160gb drive either...sorry again....

PS. Welcome to the forum..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 04-08-2010, 08:47 AM

I managed to get something like this working last night. This is what I would do.

1. Download Ubuntu (or similar) onto a pen drive.
2. Install Ubuntu onto the 320GB drive using a small partition(20GB) (at the end of the drive - just use one partition for the install)
3. Attach the 160GB drive via USB and use gparted from within ubuntu to copy the windows 7 partition to a new partition at the front of the 360GB drive.
4. Modify the Grub bootloader from within ubuntu.
5. You should now be able to get into W7 and ubuntu from boot. and have 60GB space on the drive.

6. Install OSX on a 60GB partition on the 160GB drive. Installing NBI and every thing you need until it is working nicely.
7. Boot into this OSX partition and use disk utility to copy the OSX partition to the space left on the 320GB drive.
8. Boot into ubuntu and modify grub bootloader to add an entry for OSX.
9. Cross your fingers and triple boot...

I know you may not want ubuntu on the drive - but having access to gparted can be really useful, and I found grub a very useful boot loader.

Also, I downloaded a NBM disk image (around 50MB?) and installed it on a pendrive. this acted as an external bootloader that would get into any of the systems on the drive incase I screwed up...

As I said - I didn't do exactly this, but something very,very similar.... the only dodgy bit I can see (I am sure I will be corrected) is moving the W7 partition, make sure you move *all* partitions from the W7 drive - the bootloader may be in a small one seperate to to the main OS.

Does this make sense?

« Dual Booting question. | Lots of Problems »