Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Partitioning options? - 03-31-2010, 07:19 PM

The arrival of my 10v is imminent, and I have to decide what to install, but the options and their pros and cons aren't entirely clear to me. I definitely want to install OS X (this was the whole point). But I'm wondering what else I might consider? I'm an anti-Microsoft guy, and have no Microsoft products. But every once in a great while it might be helpful to have a Windoze box. And Ubuntu might be fun to play with now and then.

The main point is, I don't want to make a choice, and find out later that it was the wrong choice, and have to backup and rebuild and restore everything.
  1. So I can just install OS X using NBI, overwriting everything.
    • I could just use virtualbox for windows and ubuntu installations, yes?
    • If I use GUID partitioning, I should be able to resize and add partitions later for dual-booting, right? Do I do this entirely with OS X tools?
    • In this case, what would handle dual/multiple booting?
    • Can I reinstall XP into one of these other partitions later or does it require MBR partitioning?
    • Is there any other reason why I might prefer to keep the original XP installation?
  2. I can use the NBI OS X installer, and partition the drive at the start of installation with Disk Utility to set aside space for Windows and Ubuntu. (There's a four-part YouTube on how to do this).
    • Less space available for OS X
    • I have to predict the future of my usage?
    • Or I'll be using GUID anyway, and that should let me resize these things as needed.
  3. I can use the detailed instructions elsewhere in this forum on keeping the original XP, repartitioning with EASEUS, and adding an OS X partition.
    • What are the advantages or disadvantages of this approach?
    • The only funky OS X change is the OSInstall file that's needed for MBR booting, is this correct?
  4. Any issues I need to think about that I haven't mentioned?
  5. Other approaches I don't know about?

Thanks for any advice,

(#2) Old
Default 03-31-2010, 07:26 PM

I'm moving this to the Dual Boot section.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Adding Windows 7 Partition | My triple boot XP/SL/UNR experience & solution! »