Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Installing OS fails when I try to format partition - 03-27-2010, 11:32 PM

Trying to use Gadgetlover's guide to install Mac OS in dual boot configuration. It fails at step 12.
12. Go to Utilities>Disk Utility from the taskbar. Using Disk Utility, name and format the partition you just created earlier with EASEUS (and where you’ll now install OS X) to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Specifically, click on the new partition, select the Erase tab, specify a name for the partition, change Format to “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” and hit the Erase button. When it is finished, close Disk Utility.
13. Select your newly-formatted drive icon as the installation destination.
When I erase the partition I get the message:
Volume erase failed
POSIX reports: The operation couldn't be complete.
No such file or directory
The disk utility page then shows no partition where it used to be. I've gone back and recreated the partition and tried it about 4 times now, always with the same result.

Not sure where to go from here.

Any help?

ps I assume that this step is the only way to get the volume to show up on the list of drives to install the OS on since it has never showed up on that list yet.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

If anyone had the same problem, this is how I solved it:

Found the answer in the InsainlyMac forum in this post Format HFS+ Partition In Windows XP - InsanelyMac Forum

You do this within Windows in the CMD window. Once I created the partition in this manner, the disk utility managed to erase it and convert it to a Mac partition. Must have been something with the partition manager that caused the problem.

Installation of OSX is now in progress. Wish me luck.

« WTA: Dual boot Win 7 and Snow Leo (10.6) Retail | Chameleon upgrade from v2.0 RC3 to RC4 »