Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Question OSx vs. Win 7 - Boot Times - 03-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Last night I installed Windows 7 Ultimate along side my OSx install. I was very surprised to find that Win 7 booted faster than OSx, much faster. So far, I haven't had much experience with Win 7 on my Mini 10v, I used it for about an hour and really only installed FF, AVG, and tweaked it to my liking (I'm very particular about my OSes.) As far as performance goes it's on par with OSx. What are your findings?
  (#2) Old
Default 03-18-2010, 11:09 PM

I set up my snow leopard/windows 7 dual boot a couple days ago. I've also noticed that windows 7 boots considerably faster. it also runs ever so slightly better I think. which I just chalked up to the adaptability of windows and endless drivers available. I think online videos are less choppy. then again this machine was never designed to run osx. that being said I still find myself inclined to use osx, likely because this is my first real exposure and I'm trying to soak it in.

mini 10v | osx 10.6.8 on 106gb | win8 dev preview on 106gb | ubuntu 11.10 alpha on 106gb | nbi 0.8.4(modified) | 320gb | 2 gigs ram
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default 03-19-2010, 12:16 AM

I agree that Windows 7 boots much faster. There is currently some unknown issue (but apparently related to audio) causing OS X boot times to be 30-45 seconds longer than they should be.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#4) Old
Default 03-19-2010, 04:58 AM

I've been finding myself on the OSx partition a lot more myself, but I have the same reasons, I've been in Windows my whole life and I'm just trying something new. I'm on the 7 partition now and it's running really, really well.
  (#5) Old
Default 03-19-2010, 07:57 AM

I recently setup 2 10v's with Snow Leopard and Windows 7. The OSX side is definitely slower booting compared to Windows. I even have a 64GB SSD drive in one of the 10v's.

Now... in my 13" MacBook Pro unibody, I have the very same 64GB SSD hard drive and my boot time from the time I press the "on" button to full boot is about 12 seconds.

Not really a fair comparison but still.. Why is it that it takes so much longer for OSX to boot on the netbooks ? Is it because of all the extra drivers and kext files that need to be loaded ?

The longer boot time isn't really a big deal for me considering it's basically 2 netbooks in one for less than $300. I also added Bluetooth, Wireless N, and 2GB of ram. This thing is pretty awesome, very portable. Especially with being able to tether my iPhone to it for even more wireless mobility.
  (#6) Old
Default 03-22-2010, 06:26 AM

I think it is something to do with the extra drivers and whatnot. And yes, with an OSx/Win7 dual boot, this thing rocks. I've got Bluetooth in mine as well. I take it with me everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Great investment. I'm still running 1gb of RAM in mine and it's a monster, especially compared to my HP Mini Note with the VIA chipset.

boot times, dual boot, osx, win7

« Need help by Dual Booting Dell Mini 10v (SL/7) | Dual Boot Win7 OSX Chrome Linux »