Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Help with SL/XP dual boot - 02-28-2010, 10:50 PM

I easily turned my Dell Mini 10v into a "MacBook nano" with the latest Netbookinstaller and my family pack retail Snow Leopard disk, but attempting a dual boot install per the Mechdrew Example 2 (scroll down) failed while corrupting my bootloader.

I attempted to install 'dose from the factory XP CD, using a USB DVD-RW drive. The 'dose XP disk asked me something about primary drives, and I said yes because it said 'dose wouldn't run otherwise. Now I can only boot into OSX from my NBI flash drive. Once I select the OSX partition in Chameleon it works fine. The XP partition does not and in fact never did.

I really bought the Mini 10v because it would be a cheap Mac that would be smaller than my MacBook, and the iPad didn't end up delivering what I was hoping it would. However, I also wanted the Parallels 'dose off my MacBook and use 'dose XP for some of my audio components' DSP processing and similar (very) occasional uses. The software that Audyssey, Velodyne, JBL, and others use is not, to my knowledge, compatible with Vista/7, so XP it must be. (Also, I have XP already.)

Also, is it possible to put all of the Windows stuff on a USB stick, like the Snow Leopard + NBI installer? I don't have another 'dose box. Just an iMac and a MacBook.

Can someone help me with a step-wise process to allow my computer to boot from OSX without using the installer USB, and get 'dose working too? Don't care at all if I have erase/reinstall either side, as the XP side never worked and the MacBook nano partition is backed up on my Apple Time Capsule.

« Dual Boot XP with SL already installed | OSX/Win7 - Time gets messed up »