Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Problems in Dual Booting Install on Mini 9 - 02-14-2010, 01:05 AM

I have been successful in putting Snow Leopard on a 32gb RunCore SSD on my Dell Mini 9. A great machine.

I want to try to dual boot SN with Windows 7. I have been told that the 32gb might be tight. I purchased a 64 RunCore SSD to install the two OS.

I have read many guides on these forums. I have made a USB stick of the install for both OSX and Win7. Here are the steps of what I have been able to get to...then the problems.

1. Installed the new 64gb SSD in the Dell Mini 9. Boot off of the OSX USB stick and formatted the SSD to 44gb for OSX and 20gb for Win7 formatted as Fat32 (the only option in Mac OS)

2. I stopped the mini and rebooted using the Win7 Install USB stick. Goes through the install phase and recognizes the 20gb Win7 partition. BUT, the install can not proceed since Win7 requires the partition to be formatted as NTFS.

3. I tried to convert the Fat 32 partition to NTFS but I can't seem to find and of the windows commands to perform this action.

4. I tried to install Win7 using the DVD Install disk connected as a USB DVD drive. I go through the install, agree to Win Agreement and do a custom install and select the drive (advance). I see the 20gb Win7 partition and select it to format. The action spins for several minutes and then gives an error message, "Failed to format the selected partition. [Error: 0x80070057]."

I feel if I can format the partition to NTFS that I would be able to install both operating systems but I can't seem to get past this formatting issue.

I have tried this process using the RunCore's micro USB connection to similar success. Windows 7 will not format network drives.

Can anyone give me help and assistance? Thanks in advance.

Chuck Lehman
  (#2) Old
Default 02-15-2010, 03:43 AM

Hi Chuck!

I used this guide to dual boot my Mini9. There were a few minor hiccups along the way but it works great now. The guide says it's for Mini10 but with a couple of fairly obvious changes it works just fine for Mini9

I am the operator of my pocket calculator.
Dell Mini9 | 2GB RAM | 32GB Runcore SSD | Snow Leopard | Windows 7 | Chameleon Dual Boot

dual boot, mini 9, windows 7

« Dual Boot with SL already installed | Any updated dual booting guides for mac OSX / Windows 7??? »