Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default XP install problem - 02-10-2010, 11:09 PM

I am a Mac guy so Windows installation is a bit mysterious for me.
I have a Mini 10v booting to SL just fine on one partition.
However I can not get Windows XP to complete the installation on a NTFS partition.
I am installing from the XP CD using an external USB drive. The installer recognizes the partition (3) and the first phase of the install seems to go just fine. Then the installer says it must reboot to continue the installation. Upon restart I get an error message-"Windows could not start because of a hardware configuration problem. Could not read from selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware."
Can I fix this problem?
Tried reformatting the partition to FAT 32 but got the same error.

Installer shows these partitions-

F:Partition1 (EFI) [FAT32] 200MB
G:Partition2 [Unknown] 106209MB
Unpartitioned space 128MB
C:Partition3 [NTFS] 40094MB
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 02-11-2010, 12:40 AM

If you are using a hybrid GPT/MBR setup (and you are unless you modified the SL installer), you may want to try running gptsync in OS X, as discussed in the last couple of pages in this thread.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final

« Restoring Dell Mini10v to a single partition | Problems installing to an MBR partition »