Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default A bit stumped .. about to install OSX on win7SE mini 10v - 01-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Hi folks,

I've taken the plung and got a cheap refurb dell mini 10v from the outlet store. It arrived this morning and I have just unpacked it and got Win7 starter edition set up the way I like it (came pre-installed). The main reason I got this was to install Mac OSX on it and I also have a retail dvd disk ready to use along with downloads of netbookinstaller etc (following mechdrew's guides etc). This looks all ok so far until I started thinking about dual booting.

What I want is a way to install MAC OS SL without having the hassle of reinstalling Win7SE. I have not even checked yet whether I have a proper win7 install from scratch type disk as it may be a recovery disk and hence of little use. So questions ....

(1) Will I be able to install OSX SL alongside my current Win7SE installation without a complete reformat??

(2) Will Win7SE (starter edition) work with one of the guides I have seen for setting up dual boot ??(first thread that appears on a forum search using terms "dual boot").

(3) Has any1 tried and been successful trying to install Snow Leopard on top/alongside a pre-installed copy of Win7SE???

Just that I am sure a few people are in a similar boat as Dell outlet must have sold a load of mini 10v s recently that came preinstalled with Win7SE.

The apple logo sticker transfer thing that comes in the snow leopard install dvd box looks like it will quite nicely fit over the dell logo on the lid cover!! Anyhow I am off out to ask my mates if they have any decent metal cutting tools as a nice thin sheet of steel cut out in the shape of those apple stickers will look very nice indeed instead of that dell logo!!!

Anyhow glad to now be a mini 10v owner.

(#2) Old
Default 01-25-2010, 05:34 AM

I'm in the same boat except with XP (wanting to get a Zune HD which only works with winDOZE). I think you can install Ubuntu (or any other Linux Distro) in a partition then just install Snow Leopard onto that partition, but I'm not sure. Also, heres an easy mod I'm going to do as soon as I get OSX on here: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...-case-mod.html

Obsidian black Mini 10v 2gb RAM 160gb HDD running Snow Leopard 10.6.2
  (#3) Old
Default 01-28-2010, 01:03 AM

No one with any ideas???

Otherwise I guess I will use acronis true image and image the drive to reinstall later if needed!! Shame no one has any ideas what to do with the win7SE installation. I have no restore or install disks either (guess it is part of keeping the cost of win7SE down!!).

joolz ..... off for a snooze now
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-28-2010, 01:55 AM

not for nothin but I dont think windows 7 starter is worth saving....

PS. Welcome to the forum..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old
Default 01-28-2010, 05:49 AM

I reformat the hard drive and then create a dual boot SL + WIndows 7 Starter (intend to upgrade to Home Premium). I used the OS DVD included with my mini 10v to install Windows 7.

« Protect your triple boot!! | any Windows OS will not boot, OSX and ubuntu work fine? »