Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Dual boot OSX - WIN7: can't select which one to boot after 10.6.2 / NBI 8.3RC5 instal - 12-23-2009, 08:39 PM

Hi everyone,
First of all thanks so much to this forum which made me decide to buy my mini 10v and hackintosch it.

I've successfully followed the Dual boot OS X + WIN7 guide from virusdoc and everything worked like a charm.

I then updated OX X from 10.6 to 10.6.2 and installed / ran NBI 8.3RC5.

Since then I do not have the choise anymore to hit any key / press the enter bar when starting my dell to select which OS i want to start.

It goes straight to MAC OS X. I've performed again the steps (from virusdoc giude) to set up the dual boot option but I still don't have the choice to select whatever OS.

If anybody went throught this I would be really glad to get some directions before reformat and restart the whole thing.

Also. Since i'm running 10.6.2 i feel like my computer became really slow. Don't know if it's related but for sure if I do reinstall everything I won't update to 10.6.2 for now.

Thanks to any suggestion.
  (#2) Old
Default 12-23-2009, 08:59 PM

10.6.2 is not slower, so there is something else going on.

When you boot up, press the CTRL key (or any of the command keys) right as Chameleon starts and it will let you into the boot loader. You have quiet boot enabled, and can disable it through NBI.

You will probably need to repair the boot sector of Windows after all of this as well to get it working properly again.
  (#3) Old
Default 12-24-2009, 01:39 AM

Boot into OSX and re-run NBI again; I would use the latest version. Make sure to check the box for loading the Chameleon Bootloader and don't check the box next to "Quite Boot".

You will then need to boot into your Win7 Installation media (CD or USB). When you get to the install screen hit 'Shift, Function F10" all at the same time and you should get a command prompt.

Type 'diskpart'
Select Disk 0
List part

It should show you your partition scheme on your boot disk. You need to note which is Win 7 and which is OSX. For the purposes of this exercise lets say your Win 7 is partition 3 and OSX is partition 2.

Back to the command prompt:

Select part 3
assign letter=c

Close the command prompt.

Now choose repair your windows installation...should be a choice down towards the bottom of your installer screen. This should find problems with your boot sector and go through a process of fixing and rebooting.

It should go straight into Win 7 at this point. Let it and once Win 7 is booted up and running go to the start menu and down at the bottom where you can enter a program name, enter Command

You should now be back at the command prompt. Type the following:

select disk 0
select part 2

Now when you reboot, you should get the Chameleon bootloader and both your choices should be working.

Good luck.
  (#4) Old
Default 12-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Thanks to both of you for the directions.

I did a little different than what I was told to do but it end up working !

Here is what i did:
- start MAX OS X
- run NBI 8.3RC5
- I select all possible options including diseable quiet boot
Only after that I could see both option to either start W7 or OS X
- I booted with W7 usb stick
- **** + FN + F10
- lunch diskpart and run all necessary cmds
i was selection partition 2, wasn't working it was partition 3 indeed
- Reboot under W7, lunch cmd then diskpart and run all necessary cmds
- Done

Now I can select both OS when computer starts.

Thanks again

« Dual boot, with loader? | Xp and OSX »