Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to versioncity
Unhappy I think I messed up my dual-boot plan :S - 11-18-2009, 01:19 AM

Hey there!
I bought a Mini10v with plans of dual booting it with XP/SL. I tried using GParted to shrink the windows partition and stick OSX on there so I didn't destroy my Windows install but that did not work so I just went ahead and overwrote it.

I followed Mechdrew's guide except I did stray a bit from that and use the part in the Gizmodo guide that uses Netbook BootMaker to make the 1USB bootable because the 2 stick wasn't working.

I ended up doing the install, and after doing the combo update and running the NBI and everything is completely fine! I ended up not dual booting right away due to not feeling well enough to complete the process so I wanted to go ahead and do it now. When I installed my OSX I did make the two partitions, 1 being for the Mac and 1 as FAT for the Windows and on my boot screen and on my desktop I can clearly see two functioning partitions.

But now I am reading that installing the Windows now could mess up my OSX install and I was supposed to fix the installer so I could use MBR because it won't install the Windows on a GUID partition. :S

I really need my windows back because my windows desktop is failing me but I've done a ton of work on the Mac install and need that for work purposes lmao. What does one suggest to me now as I'm very confused!!! If I go ahead and install windows will it possibly mess up my OSX and also will it not even work due to the GUID?

Dell Mini 10v (1011) / BIOS A04 (downgraded) / 160GB HD / 1GB Ram / Obsidian Black / Snow Leopard / USB Wake: ON / BT: Disabled / NBI 20100616212351

« Alternate Bootloaders, Empire EFI, Psystar EFI? | Dual boot with Chameleon »