Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Dual boot install starting with W7 upgrade - 11-15-2009, 05:46 PM

I'm about to try to get a dual boot SL/W7 install going on a fresh Runcore 32gb in my Mini 9. Currently I'm running Leopard/XP on a 32gb STEC.

Unfortunately, my copy of W7 is one of 3 upgrade licenses from a Home Professional 3-pack, not retail. To make this all legal, I had intended to install XP Home on the Runcore and then, once the W7 installer validated that XP was on the machine, let it wipe the drive and do a clean W7 install with repartitioning etc, activating that install with one use of my key.

I'd like to take a drive image of this fresh, activated copy of W7 before doing any further mucking around with the system. That's just to avoid any hassle associated with repeating the upgrade again later with the same key and possibly using up another of the 3 allowed upgrades. I figure there's a solid chance I'll want to return to a clean slate at some point during this process and having that be an activated W7 would seem to be best all around.

Unfortunately, all the guides seem to have SL going on before W7. Is there a good way to get SL dual booting with W7 starting from the W7 side?

Also, a number of the guides seem to have a 200mb EFI partition up front. Is that necessary? My current XP/Leopard install has just the two OS partitions and seems to work fine.

« Win XP and Ubuntu Netbook Remix | Alternate Bootloaders, Empire EFI, Psystar EFI? »