Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Netbook Installer killed Win7 Dual Boot - 11-05-2009, 08:04 PM

I've had the dual boot working for a few weeks. It was working perfectly until I decided I wanted to try to make a few adjustments on NetbookInstaller to make my monitor work on OSX when I plug it in.

I ran NetbookInstaller a few times to get the Mirror files. It took a few tries but eventually my external monitor worked. But now I can't boot into Windows 7 because the boot was corrupted. When I try to boot from the USB to reinstall Win 7 it says BCD file missing. My only option in both cases is to restart, and I now only have OSX SL.

Does anybody know a way to fix this without cleaning out the HD from OSX and doing a fresh install of OSX and Win 7?

I think I just need to boot into Win 7 install and choose repair, but I can't seem to find out how to boot into anything but OSX SL.

Removed Windows 7 and made OSX SL partition bigger.

I don't want to post another thread or go off topic, but does anyone know of any guides for ms-dos operating system and osx dual boot?
  (#2) Old
Default 11-07-2009, 01:28 AM

There are various approaches, but what I did was run the Win7 repair and then install EasyBCD 1.7.2. Added a Mac boot option and I was done.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 11-07-2009, 02:01 AM

Yeah, I wasn't able to load into windows 7 repair either. It kept showing BCD error.

I think I messed everything up more when I removed the Windows 7 partition with Disk Utility. I wanted to make my hard drive bigger, but now OSX turns off at boot. It shows a progress bar at the bottom of the spinning wheel, the bar blinks twice and the netbook shuts off.

Time to start over! :0

I would really like to install a triple boot of Win7, OSX SL, and Free Dos (For writing purposes).

I notice that the triple boot guides are mainly for OSX, Win7, and Ubuntu. I guess I'll see if I can try it. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Default 11-07-2009, 12:31 PM

If you don't want to start over/haven't already, most likely you need to set the Win7 partition to active first. Check one of the triple boot thread where we discuss how to do it using diskpart.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#5) Old
Default 11-21-2009, 02:36 PM

This happened to me as I was updating my OSX partition to SL 10.6.2

Ran the Win7 installer. It said I needed to repair boot options.
Booted Win7 and then ran EasyBSD.
Deleted OSX entry, put it back and rebooted.

I was able to boot into OSX again...

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

One more thing. If you do any messing around with Netbook Installer, just don't re-install Chameleon.

Then the bootloader won't be messed up.
  (#6) Old
Send a message via AIM to tiguy99 Send a message via Yahoo to tiguy99
Default 11-22-2009, 12:04 AM

Wish I saw this thread last week. That way I wouldn't have had to install my dual boot setup 3x...

1st time....user error

2nd time...netbook installer caused an error

3rd time...works like a charm over a week and everything's setup exactly how I want it!

Not fooling with that stuff again lol

now can anyone for the life of me explain why my OS clocks are off no matter what time I set them to?

If I set Apple time correct, then Windows is off by 6 hours...and vice versa lol YET my system bios time is accurate

- Macbook Mini (10v) - OS X 10.6.2 - 250gb HDD - 2GB Ram - Dual Boot Snow Leopard/Windows 7 Ultimate -

« Snow and 7 Dual Boot Help | Time fix for dual booters OSX & XP »