Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Sep 2009
Install Snow Leopard on a drive with an existing XP - 11-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Install Snow Leopard on a drive with an existing XP
If you bought a Mini10V (I did not try it on other machines) with XP on it, and you want to dual boot with Snow Leopard without wiping the XP, that's the tutorial for you.
(take a look at this tutorial as it may also be helpful: Install Snow Leopard on Your Hackintosh PC, No Hacking Required - Hackintosh - Lifehacker)
you will need:
1. A retail DVD of SL ($29, not the one coming with a new mac).
2. A flash drive at least 8GB in size.
3. A mac to prepare the flash drive on.
4. The magic file (from http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...ow_Leopard.zip) that will save you some terminal work.
5. The file netbookbootmaker (from http://netbook-installer.googlecode....tMaker.app.zip).
6. OSInstall file (from RapidShare Webhosting + Webspace).
1. On a mac, create an image of the retail DVD.
2. Using Disk Utility, format a (at least) 8GB flash drive to mac os journaled.
3. Restore the image you created from the dvd to the flash drive.
4. Run magic (4 in the "you will need section").
5. Run netbookbootmaker (5 in the "you will need section").
6. Replace osinstall in (/Volumes/<The name of the partition on your flash drive>/System//Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall) with the modified file (this will let you install OSX on an MBR partitioned drive (6 in the "you will need section").
7. Boot to the flash drive you just created.
8. Using Disk Utility, format the partition on which you want to install Snow Leopard to osx journaled.
9. Install SL normally.
Join Date: Sep 2009
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Join Date: Jan 2010
02-05-2010, 05:46 AM
#1 = that tiny factory partition, not sure of the purpose of it
#2 = factory XP install
#3 = SL install
#4 = factory restore partition
I simply dragged the right slider of the XP partition left to block out space for the new partition. Left the others alone.
Now I'm thinking I should have gone half and half, or more toward SL, since it runs so well and is more satisfying to use on a netbook than XP.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
new partition first ??? - 02-15-2010, 01:36 AM
|dual, mbr, snow leopard, windows xp|
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.