Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default SL, XP, dual boot Saga, XP does NOT like an extra shared FAT32 partition - 11-04-2009, 01:18 AM

I really wanted to use MBR for Snow Leopard, so I could triple boot SL, XP, and Ubuntu but I could not find any guides on how to patch the USB flash drive to not check the partitioning scheme.

So I gave up on Linux, and decided to just add a small FAT32 partition to the drive, which was dual booting XP and OSX just fine.

XP does NOT like that FAT32 partition. Whether it's between OSX and XP or after XP, XP will fail with a "Disk Error."

I can't think of any reason why XP is so upset about that FAT32 partition. It does not make the total primary partitions exceed 4.

In any case, if anyone knows of a guide that shows how to patch the SL image on the USB drive to allow MBR installation, please point me to it. I've seen some cryptic references to it, but never a detailed guide on how to do it.
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 11-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Here's how to patch:
Advanced 2: Multi-Boot Configuration | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

A post in this forum has the terminal work already done for you:
"Install Snow Leopard on a drive with an existing XP"

But most likely its just the way MAC OS X makes a FAT32 partition. Did you try erasing/reformatting the partition you want to put XP on using the XP installer?

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral

« OSX Hibernation works, but mouse and and trackpad dont work... | Multiboot via SDHC Class 6? »