Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Multiboot via SDHC Class 6? - 11-03-2009, 11:21 PM

Has anyone had experience installing Mac, Win7, or Ubuntu on a SDHC as a secondary OS?

If it works, is it decent?
  (#2) Old
Default 11-03-2009, 11:57 PM

I've run the Ubuntu "LiveCD" off a fast SD card in a USB reader. And it was alot faster than a actual CD. Probably close in speed to my SSD.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 11-04-2009, 12:25 AM

The SD slot is not bootable on the Mini 9 - I don't know about the other models. Win7 doesn't support being booted from a removable disk.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old
Default 11-04-2009, 03:28 PM

Good info, thanks. Is the SD bootable in the 10v?
  (#5) Old
Default 11-07-2009, 09:52 PM

-=|| Mini10v | 2GB | 120GB | BT | Win7 Pro | OSX 10.6.2 ||=-
  (#6) Old
Default 11-08-2009, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
?? ... not sure if Scooter's "Nope." is in reference to Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu or perhaps some SD vs SDHC issue.

I can tell you definitively/for sure that my Mini10v __is__ bootable from a Transcend 16GB Class 6 SDHC, onto which I installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix (Karmic). It works fine from there, I can save stuff and generally feels/performs as I would expect it to. When I boot into UNR on the SDHC, I don't use Chameleon, just the Boot Options in BIOS.

(I installed it on there by booting a Live USB flash drive w/ UNR/Karmic on it, and then simply inserted the SDHC card, and chose it as the install target device. I don't use it a lot, just when I need Linux for something special. I am not concerned about wear leveling or wearing the SDHC out, as I don't use it as a daily workhorse.)

I have not tried this w/ XP or W7. It is my guess that one could easily create a Leopard/SnowLeopard rescue/firstaid SDHC as well. The advantage here is that while they do stick out of the side of the left side of the netbook (ie. the SDHC port is not deep enough, so it isn't flush), these cards are tiny and take up no space in one's brief case or backpack. In addition, booting these from BIOS minimizes the chances of getting ones main hdd partitions futzed up - less chance of getting Chameleon confused.

Dell Mini 10v w/ 2GB SDRAM, 802.11n & BlueTooth
Snow Leopard 10.6.6
2TB of NFS mounts courtesy of foonas-ized LinkStations
as opensource TimeCapsules (+ p910nd printserver & Firefly media server)
see LinkStationWiki.net for details on how to make your OS X experience richer with a modded NAS device
Time Capsule/Time Machine Support on Your LinkStation

« SL, XP, dual boot Saga, XP does NOT like an extra shared FAT32 partition | SL and Ubuntu Dual Boot »