Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Expert Member
Default Custom disk Icons for guest OSes - 11-02-2009, 04:04 AM

Figured I'd start this thread off with a how to for adding custom icons manually for Windows and Ubuntu ext2/3/4 drives so that your OS X desktop shows your other partitions. I've attached a picture of my desktop to show how it looks.

You need to create a Mac .icns file containing the image you want for the drive. Copy it to a flash drive (or shared partition or your DropBox or however you share files between OSes). Then when booted into Ubunutu create a file /._. with permission 777. Then copy the .icns file as /.VolumeIcon.icns again with 777 permissions.

You can do the same as for Ubuntu substituting the equivalent DOS commands for the linux commands.

Seeing (and editing) NTFS and Ext disks:
You can install MacFUSE and NTFS-3G in which case you can just do the standard cut/paste like any file or folder with the Get Info window for any NTFS disc. You can also use the ext2-FUSE to read ext2/3 (and 4?) disks. By default they mount read only but can be mounted read/write to do the cut/paste thing if you know terminal. Here are links to a good writeup for ext2 but it is a bit out of date since there is a newer version which will aoutmatically mount the ext2/3 partitions as read-only.

Opera Omnia: Tom Pennings' Blog: Mounting Linux (ext2/ext3) partitions under Mac OS X
Attached Thumbnails
Guest OS disks.png  

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral

« File Systems | OSX Hibernation works, but mouse and and trackpad dont work... »