Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Super Moderator

Default Triple Boot Videos and Guide Using Chameleon, OS X, Windows 7 & Ubuntu Netbook Remix - 10-15-2009, 11:49 PM

Well, I finally have the videos on YouTube. We won't discuss how many times I re-encoded. Also not going to discuss my gripes about Live Movie Maker versus good ole Move Maker 2.6.

That said, I apologize in advance. As usual, I'm monotonous and rather boring, and also barely awake. But, I know some people prefer videos versus the text below, so here you go. There are four parts, grand total of about 34 minutes total, with lots of hack and slash editing (some my fault, some Live Movie Maker's fault).

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiI-AxL4RBU
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4DooH7Mrko
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-qLi0izc3Y
Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJROQVNZTMA

And then, here's the text from my guide I posted the other day (cleaned up a little bit):

WARNING: Not for the faint of heart. Although the OS installations are simple enough if you have ever installed an OS before, dealing with the bootloader and correcting issues that may arise are not always the easiest. Please be aware of this BEFORE you try this, especially if the machine is critical to your use.

OS X, Windows 7, Ubuntu Netbook Remix Triple Boot

Tools Required/Used
- OS X 10.5.6 USB key created using Netbook BootMaker 0.8.3 RC3 - http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...3-testing.html
- Windows 7 USB key - http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how...beta_a_usb_key (Basically same method I use)
- Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 USB key - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromImgFiles
Steps required for creating above can be located elsewhere on the forum, and is beyond the scope of this guide. Also, in theory, an external USB DVD drive may be usable as well, although I understand OS X installs to be very finnicky depending on the make/model of the drive.

Steps
- Ensure USB BIOS Legacy Support is enabled for USB booting
- Boot from OS X 10.5.6 install media
- Open Disk Utility and partition drive, creating three partitions
- Create first partition for Windows 7, formatted with MS-DOS (FAT)
- Create second partition for OS X, formatted with Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
- Create third partition for Ubuntu, formatted with MS-DOS (FAT)
- Click Options and ensure GUID Partition Table is selected
- Install OS X to second partition, customizing as desired
- Reboot as required, and go through initial config wizard (1024x576 screen users: it is recommended to have an external display plugged in so that you can run the wizard, but it isn't required)
- Reboot and launch Windows 7 installation
- Follow prompts and do a Custom (advanced) install
- Select the partition for Windows 7, click Advanced, and then click Format. You will not be able to install to the partition until you do.
- Let Windows installer reboot as required. Follow the prompts and go through the initial setup configuration as well.
- Once you are at the Windows desktop, reboot and launch the Ubuntu Netbook Remix install (if you have an external display plugged in, you might want to unplug it for the Ubuntu Netbook Remix install)
- On the main menu, highlight Install Ubuntu Netbook Remix and hit Enter
- Follow the prompts until you get to the location to install Ubuntu, which is Step 4 and titled Prepare disk space.
- Select Specify partitions manually (advanced) and click Forward
- On the partition table, you will see multiple zones of free space. We want to keep these, so at this point you will want to edit the partition set aside for Ubuntu, which is likely going to be /dev/sda4 if you followed these instructions exactly. Select this partition and click Edit partition
- Resize the partition so that you have subtracted some space for the swap partition. In my case, I use a roughly 4 GB swap partition, so I resized it from 39666 to 35666. For Use as, select Ext3 journaling file system, click Format the partition and for Mount point select /. Advanced users can actually partition how they like, this is just keeping it as simple as possible. Once done, click OK.
- You will be prompted with a window to write the previous changes to disk. Simply click Continue. The partition formatting and resizing will take place. Depending on the size of your drive and partitions, this could take some time.
- Finally, select largest chunk for free space (in my case, around 4000 MB), and click New partition.
- For Use as, select swap area, ensure that the partition size is correct, then click OK.
- You can click Forward through the rest of the screens, filling out pertinent info, until you hit the last screen which is Step 7.
- On Step 7 (Ready to install), click Advanced. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Change the location of the boot loader installation to the partition you created for /. In our example, this is /dev/sda4. (NOTE: It is possible that because we are using Chameleon as the main bootloader, we may not even need a bootloader. I have not, however, tested this theory.) At this point, you can click OK, then Install and let the installation begin.
- Reboot as prompted. At this point, you will have all three OS'es installed, however the system will be completely unbootable. This is now the point where we correct that issue.
- First launch the OS X install media again. All we want to do is reinstall the Chameleon bootloader, so you'll get to the main install screen, then select NetbookInstaller under the Utilities menu. Select the volume to install on, then unselect everything except for the first option. Click Install, then when completed, reboot the computer.
- At this point, you should have a functioning Chameleon bootloader. You can test to see which OS'es you'll can get into, but likely you'll only be able to get into OS X. If you select Linux, you'll get put right into GRUB. If you select Windows, you'll get the 0xc000000e boot issue. We're going to fix this now.
- Boot into the Windows install media. You don't need to go any farther than the first screen. Hit Shift+F10 (you may need to also hit the Fn key as well depending on how your BIOS is setup), and then launch diskpart.
  • ○ In diskpart, perform the following:
    • list disk
    • select disk 0
    • list partition
    • select partition 2
    • active
  • ○ Disk 0 is the local hard disk, and in this case, partition 2 is the Windows 7 partition.
- Exit out of the command prompt, then launch Repair your computer, which is on the second screen.
- Windows will at this point automatically search for and find problems with your computers startup options. Simply click Repair and restart. Once you have done this, you should boot into Windows 7. (You may see the option to Start Windows normally. If you do, please select it.) Login, and open a command prompt (I recommend launching it as an Administrator…Start, cmd in search, right click and click Run as administrator).
- At the command prompt, type diskpart.
  • ○ In diskpart, perform the following:
    • list disk
    • select disk 0
    • list partition
    • select partition 4
    • active
  • ○ Disk 0 is the local hard disk, and in this case, partition 4 is the OS X partition.
- Reboot after exiting out of the command shell, and test booting into all three of your OS'es. You should now be able to successfully boot into all three.
With regards to OS updates, you should be able to update Windows 7 and Ubuntu without issue. However, if you update OS X, the updates will run fine (with the usual issues associated with 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 if you are just using Leopard), however you will need to repeat the following steps:
- Reinstall Chameleon
- Use diskpart to change to Windows to be the active partition
- Use Windows 7 install to automatically repair
- Boot into Windows 7 and then use diskpart again to change back to OS X to be the active partition
SPECIAL THANKS: Special thanks to meklort, mechdrew, bmcclure937 and many many other members of MyDellMini.com, as well as others in the hackintoshing community. This wouldn't be possible without their efforts.

LINKS:
Netbook Bootmaker/Installer link
How to install Windows 7 from a USB Key
How to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix from a USB key
Best Dell Mini and OS X install resource out there - Mechdrew's Guides

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides

Last edited by anguish; 10-16-2009 at 11:06 AM.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 10-16-2009, 12:22 AM

AWESOME!!

Congrats... gotta check this out!! Great work. I might have to think about toying around with multi-booting.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

And don't be so hard on yourself... your videos are always amazing and greatly appreciated by the community. Nobody cares about minor editing blunders (and God help you for using Live Movie Maker). And your instructions and guidance are always great... not "monotonous" like you always say

Keep up the great work!

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old

Default 10-16-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post

Tools Required/Used
- OS X 10.5.6 USB key created using Netbook BootMaker 0.8.3 RC3
- Windows 7 USB key
- Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 USB key
if you could provide links to these, then it'd be perfect! c",)
  (#4) Old

Default 10-16-2009, 10:51 AM

Bravo! I'm fully aware of the amount of time & effort put into making any sort of video - I take my hat off to you

Now lets check these 'blockbusters' out

Dell Mini 10v | N270 | A04 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | Mac OS 10.6.6 | Bluetooth | Usb Legacy OFF
DropBox Referral

Last edited by jaraeez; 10-16-2009 at 10:53 AM.
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-16-2009, 11:07 AM

Added some links and stuff. Still have some cleanup to do, but that's a good start for now.

And thanks for the reminder tanjeraldyne, it was late (for me) last night when I got everything done, and that completely slipped my mind.

(#6) Old

Default 10-17-2009, 03:41 PM

I tried following this procedure to install OSX and Win7 on a 500 gig drive.

Partition 1 - Win7 - 350 gig
Partition 2 - OSX - 150 gig

OSX install went fine.

Win7 says it can not be installed to Disk 0 Partition 3. The details report

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

Any ideas?

EDIT: This is weird. I went into Advanced and I got this message. I deleted the partition, recreated it, but when I hit Next, I got this error message. Instead I hit Back, selected Partition 3 and it started installing. Hmmm.

Last edited by MikePA; 10-17-2009 at 03:49 PM.
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-17-2009, 10:40 PM

I've seen weird stuff like that happening before. Did you get the dual boot up and running?

(#8) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 02:20 AM

I followed these instructions to a tee on my dell mini 9, along with downsizing the windows 7 install seen in this:
GUIDE: Installing Windows 7 To Use 3GB Of SSD/HDD Space
guide (I'm running on a 64gb Supertalent SSD)
Also I used Ubuntu 9.04 proper rather than netbook remix.
Aaaand.. IT WORKS! I couldn't be happier with it or your guide!

One word of advice though, and this is going to sound odd but its happened to me twice now, is when you're repairing the Windows 7 install before you click "Repair my computer" remove your usb drive from the computer. What happens is if its plugged in (for me this happens anyway I have no idea why) is it repairs the windows bootloaders to boot off of that flash drive, so what happens is if you try to boot off of it it'll load up into your windows 7 desktop (Its weird I know!) and if you have it unplugged and try to boot to windows 7 it'll still give you the 0xc000000e error. Trust me in that enough files are cached on the system to repair the boot when the flash drive is unplugged because I've done this myself and doing it has become a necessity every time I use this method. Everything should be working the way it was meant to afterward.

Great guide! Thanks so much!

Also I was messing with some kexts on osx trying to get audio to work and now netbook installer doesnt recognize it as a supported device, which is odd. I hope everything still works!

Edit: Oh and also to anybody getting the windows install error about booting to the disk and the BIOS, the answer is to reboot and set the bios to boot off of the hard drive. You have to manually select boot to usb by hitting 0. If your settings are already set to this then reboot anyway and go into the bios and change it to usb first then reboot then go into the bios again and change it to hard drive boot. Its a pain I know but the Windows installer is just picky because it doesn't want the installer to reboot into the beginning of the install again (where you choose the install path and such), it wants to make sure it'll boot from the HDD so it can continue the install. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Lazarpandar; 10-18-2009 at 02:26 AM.
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-18-2009, 12:16 PM

I'm curious, how does the Mini detect the USB key? I know I have one key that it doesn't detect as what I expected (you can briefly see it in the videos, I'll have to look tomorrow and see what it is exactly as I don't have it with me).

Good tip to know though. I've never had that problem, but it is why I asked the above question.

Glad to hear that it works though!

(#10) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguish View Post
I've seen weird stuff like that happening before. Did you get the dual boot up and running?
Dual boot is up and running with 10.6.1 and Win7 Pro after another 7 hours working at it today. I had to recreate the boot Win7 Pro usb several times. Even though I'd tell the 10v to boot from the USB, it would boot Win7 off the HD. Recreating the USB seemed to resolve this. It seems the booting from the usb and activating partitions doesn't always 'take' the first time. Perhaps it was coincidence, but powering off and on seemed to straighten things out.

Under Win7, my wireless connection to the Internet drops for no reason. I stay connected to my AP, but no Internet. The wireless connection shows 'No Internet Connection' yet my Toshiba laptop sitting right next to the 10v has no problem. Something else to research.

Last edited by MikePA; 10-18-2009 at 06:32 PM.

« HELP...windows boot problem...0xc000000e...need help fixing for dual boot setup | OSX SL/Win8 Dual Boot? »