Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#51) Old
Default 12-14-2009, 10:53 PM

I tried tweaking your guide and pre-creating the swap partition. It was a very bad idea (grub can't find the partition, so linux can't boot), so note to everyone else: follow the guide to the letter =)

I also had some serious issues creating the bootable USB drives for Windows 7 and Ubuntu netbook remix. I ended up using Windows XP for both; UltraISO for Windows 7, and usb-creator.exe running directly off the Ubuntu disk. I'm mentioning that in case it can save someone else a day of USB misery.
  (#52) Old
Default Just a simple Dual Boot... - 12-16-2009, 12:37 AM

Have anyone tried just a dual Boot OSx/Linux?, I am trying to dual boot OSX and Ubuntu and I can't get Grub to play nice, I follow every post out there and Ubuntu don;t want to boot.

When I try to boot Ubuntu i get into Grub and it can't find the right partition to boot (IT seen). I tried to follow the command listed on the guide to fix ubuntu but it doesn't work, when I get to the "setup (hd0,3)" it tell me that cannot be mount

---------- Post added 12-16-2009 at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-15-2009 at 10:57 PM ----------

Originally Posted by anguish View Post
- At this point, you should have a functioning Chameleon bootloader. You can test to see which OS'es you'll can get into, but likely you'll only be able to get into OS X. If you select Linux, you'll get put right into GRUB. If you select Windows, you'll get the 0xc000000e boot issue. We're going to fix this now.
Any idea how to fix this from Linux? or OSX?...I don;t have windows I am just trying to dual boot OS X and Linux but no matter what I do Grub doesn't want to boot.

(#53) Old
Send a message via AIM to samuelwolff
Default backup disc - 12-16-2009, 01:44 AM

can you create a windows 7 usb key using the disc that came with your mini? how? links would be appreciated.

Dell Mini 10v-1GB RAM-250BG HDD-Win7-OSX-UBUNTU

Dell Inspiron 1545- Celeron 2.2GHz- 3GB RAM-160GBHD Win7-Ubuntu
  (#54) Old
Expert Member
Default 12-16-2009, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by samuelwolff View Post
can you create a windows 7 usb key using the disc that came with your mini? how? links would be appreciated.
I've seen that info here. I'd guess in the Win 7 sub-forum of the Windows forum but I'm not sure where. I know I followed a link from here which gave easy instructions and now have a USB key with my Win 7 install on it so I don't have to mess with an external DVD drive anymore.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#55) Old
Default Lazarpandar - set the bios to boot off of the hard drive - 12-16-2009, 05:09 AM

"Oh and also to anybody getting the windows install error about booting to the disk and the BIOS, the answer is to reboot and set the bios to boot off of the hard drive."

This little bit of information saved me hours and hours of OS X re-installations etc.

Here is the error message I was getting ALL DAY LONG:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

After reading the postscript to your message all the way at the bottom, you saved the day!!! Thank you! Thank You! THANK YOU!!!

Originally Posted by Lazarpandar View Post
I followed these instructions to a tee on my dell mini 9, along with downsizing the windows 7 install seen in this:
GUIDE: Installing Windows 7 To Use 3GB Of SSD/HDD Space
guide (I'm running on a 64gb Supertalent SSD)
Also I used Ubuntu 9.04 proper rather than netbook remix.
Aaaand.. IT WORKS! I couldn't be happier with it or your guide!

One word of advice though, and this is going to sound odd but its happened to me twice now, is when you're repairing the Windows 7 install before you click "Repair my computer" remove your usb drive from the computer. What happens is if its plugged in (for me this happens anyway I have no idea why) is it repairs the windows bootloaders to boot off of that flash drive, so what happens is if you try to boot off of it it'll load up into your windows 7 desktop (Its weird I know!) and if you have it unplugged and try to boot to windows 7 it'll still give you the 0xc000000e error. Trust me in that enough files are cached on the system to repair the boot when the flash drive is unplugged because I've done this myself and doing it has become a necessity every time I use this method. Everything should be working the way it was meant to afterward.

Great guide! Thanks so much!

Also I was messing with some kexts on osx trying to get audio to work and now netbook installer doesnt recognize it as a supported device, which is odd. I hope everything still works!

Edit: Oh and also to anybody getting the windows install error about booting to the disk and the BIOS, the answer is to reboot and set the bios to boot off of the hard drive. You have to manually select boot to usb by hitting 0. If your settings are already set to this then reboot anyway and go into the bios and change it to usb first then reboot then go into the bios again and change it to hard drive boot. Its a pain I know but the Windows installer is just picky because it doesn't want the installer to reboot into the beginning of the install again (where you choose the install path and such), it wants to make sure it'll boot from the HDD so it can continue the install. Hope this helps!
  (#56) Old
Default 12-17-2009, 07:32 AM

I've been trying to follow this guide for about two days now, and I've come across some trouble...

I've gotten the three OSs installed now, and I'm on the step where I go back in to the OS X install and use the netbook installer... Only issue is, I upgraded to 10.6.2 already, so now I am getting the reboot loop...

I tried burning Netbook CD 0.8.3 RC4 but it doesn't really boot.. It flashes "boot0: done" and then goes to the hard drive to boot, then reboots....

Should I start from scratch and wait before doing system updates, until everything is in order? How come NetbookCD 0.8.3 RC4 doesn't work? Would I be able to use GRUB or the Windows MBR instead of chameleon?

Thanks for the great guide, I hope I can get this working before the 23rd... D:
  (#57) Old
Default 12-18-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by elgringoguillao View Post
Its currently boot directly into OSX. How do I make sure that the OSX partition is active.

Do I install from the OSX Bootable USB?
Did you try to boot from the OSX Install USB? Once you select your language, pick utilities, and the first one should be the installer. Choose the OSX partition, uncheck everything except the install and install it. When done, continue, exit and restart. What happens now?
  (#58) Old
Default 12-19-2009, 03:05 AM

Great guide! Luckily I already had my USB drives made from a previous dual boot attempt and I flew through this with no problems.

(#59) Old
Default 12-20-2009, 02:31 AM

This worked like a charm. I am now dual booting Windows 7 and 10.6.2 on my new 10v. The only hangups I had involved forgetting to remove the USB boot media for OSX or Windows7 after installing or repairing. If you don't remove them at the reboot, you will of course boot right back into the USB.

Much thanks for the guide!
  (#60) Old
Default can't triple boot - 12-28-2009, 07:46 PM

Hello. im new to the forums and always read read read before I post, to avoid flaming. I am having an issue triple booting. the problem arises when after I install all 3 OS's, setting back windows as active partition, it ALWAYS tells me "Cannot make partition active, it is of the GPT type....." or something to that effect. I have a second computer on with the tutorial in front of me, but dammit I just cannot get it to work. I dual boot all day, no problem, but now this becoming a personal challenge for me. Needless to say I have failed miserably & it takes all day to set up my dual boots the way I like them. I guess what Im saying is....HELP, please.

Oh, BTW, I have also tried the video tutorial as well as jbeam's tutorial....

« HELP...windows boot problem...0xc000000e...need help fixing for dual boot setup | OSX SL/Win8 Dual Boot? »