Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#31) Old
Default 11-01-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by anguish View Post
If it's booting right into OS X, you may have Chameleon set for Quiet mode. You'll probably want to do some searching here, as I'm not sure how to disable it, as I've never used it.
Thanks I think that the issue. I do recall checking that box thinking it was so that I would not hear the tone for OSX at startup. I will search that.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

I was able to figure it out... If you rerun the NBI from OSX natively there is an option to disable to the Quiet Mode... You simply have to check that option off and uncheck everything else. Now I boot flawlessly. This forum rocks. Thanks for the help.
  (#32) Old
Default Cannot make active - 11-05-2009, 03:28 AM

First off, thank you for this excellent tutorial.

I have followed this tutorial very closely many times and I keep getting stuck booting Windows. When I attempt to make the windows partition active I get:

The selective disk is not a fixed MBR disk.
The ACTIVE command can only be used on fixed MBR disks.
This meaning I cannot repair windows and keep getting 0x000 error.

I'm installing:
Snow Leopard
Windows 7 RTM
Ubuntu 9.10

It seems since the drive is formatted with GUID and not MBR this method should never work. Clearly it does for others though, what am I missing?
  (#33) Old
Default 11-05-2009, 09:06 AM

I know before with my laptop whenever I had a boot problem I would just change around the flags using g-parted in ubuntu from boot to boot. Will this work instead of the command line way?
  (#34) Old
Super Moderator
Default 11-05-2009, 11:38 AM

nathanjd, It's possible that it's because you're trying to install SL. I don't use SL, so I honestly can't say for certain. Theoretically, it should work if you're using the right Netbook Bootmaker, but that's only speculation really. I've been waiting for someone to chime in who is triple booting the three.

jgetz7, Theoretically it should. I've never tried, so I don't honestly know and can't say for sure.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#35) Old
Default 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by nathanjd View Post
This meaning I cannot repair windows and keep getting 0x000 error.
Hey nathanjd,
When I was installing a dual-boot with OSX & Win 7 I ran into the same issue. I tried jbeamer's suggestion (link below) and it fixed the Windows 7 0xc000000e boot error. Give it a try and see if it helps.

Windows 7 0xc000000e boot error

Dell Mini 10v | BIOS A04 | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | 1510 WiFi | BT | OSX 10.6.2 | Windows 7 | NBI 0.8.3 RC4
  (#36) Old
Default 11-07-2009, 04:23 PM

Hey Anguish,
thanks so much for putting this guide together, very helpful.
I was able to get my Mini9 booting Snow Leopard, Windows 7 pro, and Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10.

One note, for some reason I had to re-create the Win7 USB when i wanted to "repair and restart" otherwise it would just boot normally into Win 7 from the USB.

So for those who may be wondering, yes, this method works for Snow Leopard, and UNR 9.10.

(though UNR 9.10 seems rather buggy, and you need to connect it with an ethernet cable to download the wireless drivers, and update)

Dell mini 9 | 64 GB SuperTalent | 2 GB RAM | OS X 10.6.1 | Win 7 | UNR 9.10 | NBI 0.8.3
  (#37) Old
Default Fixing the Windows MBR - 11-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Great set of instructions, thanks for putting this together. I'm having one problem, though - at the end when we're using the windows install media to repair the MBR, if I click on the "repair and restart" button, I get an error message that says "Failed to save startup options". Has anyone else seen this problem? I'm not sure if it's somehow related or not, but I seem to have an extra partition - my Windows partition is part3, and part1 and 2 are small (19 KB and 200 MB, respectively).
Any suggestions? If not, is there another way around this - use grub as my bootloader, for example? This is all sort of black magic to me. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Ok, I fixed it. I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but my 10v has been really picky about booting from flash drives. Since I don't have a USB DVD drive, that's made this whole process very interesting. However, I found that by putting my Windows 7 install on an SD card, and booting from that using chameleon, I got the "repair and restart" button to work. Like I said, black magic.

Last edited by Jayloh; 11-16-2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Problem solved
  (#38) Old
Default Resizing Partitions? - 11-17-2009, 06:01 PM

I have had this triple-boot working about a month and love it! But Win7 took a lot more HD space than I anticipated, I only have about 1GB of free space left. Which I know is more than enough but still a little tight for my liking. If I used 'G-Parted' to re-size partitions (make SL smaller and Win7 larger) would that affect anything with the bootloader? The last thing I wanna do is start from scratch at this point.
  (#39) Old
Thumbs up Thanks! - 11-22-2009, 01:16 AM

Thank you! Triple booting has been ridiculously easy!

Windows 7 Professional
Mac OS X 10.6
Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix

I followed every step outlined and got the desired result!
  (#40) Old
Default dual booting issues, solutions, and question about making an unallocated disk visible - 11-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Anguish -- Kudos to you for this guide. I would not have attempted this if not for your detailed instructions and videos! I had a few hiccups along the way, but managed to recover thanks to the many tidbits of information on this forum. I tried this on a 10V (120gb hdd, 1gb RAM, A05 BIOS) using my original Leopard disk (10.5) on a USB stick that had worked successfully on a mini 9 several months ago (I recently updated to 10.5.8 on that mini9 using Mechdrew's instructions).

I followed your triple boot guide, except I ended up skipping the ubuntu install. I've done all the necessary updates to Win 7 and Leopard (up to 10.5.8) and as far as I can tell, everything works! I have some comments (related to the hiccups and how I ended up "solving" them) and one big question.

1) I was stuck at this step: "First launch the OS X install media again. All we want to do is reinstall the Chameleon bootloader, so you'll get to the main install screen, then select NetbookInstaller under the Utilities menu. Select the volume to install on, then unselect everything except for the first option. Click Install, then when completed, reboot the computer."

Netbook installer did not give me any volumes to which I could install.
After a lot of reading (especially the troubleshooting section of Mechdrew's guide), I realized that I had to update my Leopard to 10.5.6. But first I had to change the .dmg file to a pkg file. The update worked fine.

2) I experienced Lazarpandar's issue:
"One word of advice though, and this is going to sound odd but its happened to me twice now, is when you're repairing the Windows 7 install before you click "Repair my computer" remove your usb drive from the computer. What happens is if its plugged in (for me this happens anyway I have no idea why) is it repairs the windows bootloaders to boot off of that flash drive, so what happens is if you try to boot off of it it'll load up into your windows 7 desktop (Its weird I know!) and if you have it unplugged and try to boot to windows 7 it'll still give you the 0xc000000e error. Trust me in that enough files are cached on the system to repair the boot when the flash drive is unplugged because I've done this myself and doing it has become a necessity every time I use this method. Everything should be working the way it was meant to afterward".

To make my Win7 USB stick give me the "repair my computer" option again, I looked at the files on the stick and realized that Win7 was making a backup BCD file in the boot folder. I renamed the BCD file to another backup file (eg BCD-backup-Nov), and renamed the BCD.backup.0001 file to BCD. That change allowed me to repair my computer using the usb stick (This time, I pulled the stick before clicking on repair my computer).

Other comments:
I did the combo update to 10.5.8, and had to follow these instructions to get everything booting again:
"-Reinstall Chameleon
- Use diskpart to change to Windows to be the active partition
- Use Windows 7 install to automatically repair
- Boot into Windows 7 and then use diskpart again to change back to OS X to be the active partition"

I can now boot 10.5.8 or Win 7!!! (although sometimes 10.5.8 hangs at startup)

Now, my question. When I'm on Leopard, I can see all 3 partitions (Mac OS, Win7, and the FAT32 partition which I would like to use for data files shared between the 2 operating systems. I can also see this FAT32 partition when the Chameleon bootloader starts up (of course, I cant boot to this). BUT when I'm in Win7, I dont see this as a drive in "Computer". If I go to Computer Management > Disk Management, I see it in Disk 0, but it is "unallocated".

How do I make this drive visible in Win 7 without affecting my nicely working dual boot? Right-click and make it a "new simple volume"?

Thanks for any help on this question, and major thanks to everyone involved in making this work (Anguish, Meklort, Mechdrew, Bmaltais, bmcclure937, and all the others who contribute to this forum.

Next projects: updating to Snow Leopard, and doing the RAM upgrade (assuming I can get a good price for it)

« HELP...windows boot problem...0xc000000e...need help fixing for dual boot setup | OSX SL/Win8 Dual Boot? »