Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Oct 2009
10-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Okay here are the steps I took. I can not claim that I came up with all of this. I cobbled together several posts and three days of trial and error.
1) Create thumb drive with SL and NBM/NBI 8.3.RC2
2) Boot form thumb drive and go into disk utility
3) Slice drive up into three partitions and change from GUID to MBR.
4) First partition should be FAT32 and WIN7
5) Second partition should be HFS+ and OSX
6) Third partition should be FAT32 and Linux, once complete, reboot.
7) Either boot from pre-made Win7 thumb drive or DVD. I used DVD with external USB.
8) Install Win7 on a formatted partition 1. (This will change active partition)
9) Once install is done, let it reboot, answer questions, boot to desktop
10) Install beta of easyBCD 2.0 (for later) EasyBCD 2.0 Beta Builds - The NeoSmart Forums
11) Reboot and boot from pre-made Ubuntu (or linux of your choice) thumb drive or DVD. I used regular Ubuntu DVD since I do not like UNR.
12) Install Ubuntu as normal and reboot.
13) Boot from pre-made OSX thumb drive with NBI/NBM.
14) Install OS X as normal and let it reboot. Register and then reboot.
This is where I am hazy so I will go with safe. There has to be a better and faster way.
15) Boot from thumb drive and use chameleon to choose your Ubuntu.
16) Log in and go to terminal. Sudo to root and run parted.
17) run in this order, set 2 boot off, set 1 boot on, quit
18) Win 7 will now be in control, again.
19) Boot to Win 7 and login.
20) Run easyBCD and this is the magic part :-)
21) Go to Add/Remove Entries
22) Click tab for mac, label the Name, and select MBR <- key point not in easyBCD 1.7.2
23) Click Linux tab, label Name, and select the partition with Linux on it
24) If no entry for windows, add one accordingly.
25) Save and reboot.
You should be able to triple boot Win7/OSX/Ubuntu in MBR using Beta easyBCD 2.0
Of course there has to be an easier way, but I did not take notes. This was from three days trial and error, from memory. Please try and if there are Issues, I would love to refine the process.
Join Date: Apr 2009
10-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Okay, I'm running into problems with this method. I get all the way to the OS X step just fine, then I run into the issue that I seem to repeatedly have. Because the disk is MBR, OS X refuses to install. Now, I'm not using SL though either, so could that be the issue? I don't have SL, not interested in upgrading to it yet, so I suppose that could easily be the issue.
Join Date: Apr 2009
10-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I just want to update here, I do have my triple boot working now, and using Chameleon to do the booting. I hope to get a guide going next week, and probably do a video too using my stock hard drive (since I don't want to blow up my work on this install).
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.