Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#11) Old
Default It happened again - 11-17-2009, 01:12 AM

I was fat and happy with a dual boot Mini 9 until I upgraded Snow Leopard to 10.6.2. The upgrade went well but I had to run NetbookInstaller .8.3 RC4 to get the kernel patched. Snow Leopard would boot OK but Windows would no longer boot. I booted into the Windows 7 Install (USB) and ran "Repair my computer" and the darn thing wrote the MBR to the USB device and not the Windows partition. So if I tried to boot the Windows Installer on the USB, Windows on the internal disk would start up. Of course I could no longer get to the Installer to Repair my computer any more. Once more I re-formatted the USB drive, made it bootable, and copied the Windows 7 Install package. When I ran Repair my computer the second time it wrote the MBR to the internal disk and now I can dual boot again. I must be the only guy that can screw up the Windows partition this way.

MINI Cooper | 1.3L | 110 HP | 5 Spd | Sunroof
Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.3 | 2 GB | 32 GB SSD
  (#12) Old
Default 11-18-2009, 04:17 AM

Thanks potatohead! I installed 10.6.2 and used the latter half of your advice to get Windows running again.

« I think I messed up my dual-boot plan :S | Snow and 7 Dual Boot Help »