Dual Booting Guides Guides for setting up your Dell Mini to run 2 operating systems or more.

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Simple way to create Dual Boot : Snow Leopard and Windows 7
Published by pokenguyen
12-22-2009
Default Simple way to create Dual Boot : Snow Leopard and Windows 7

This is the way I create a dual boot with SL and Windows 7 based on [HOW TO] Create a dualboot with Seven-Leopard using Chameleon - Hackint0sh. It took me a couple of hours to deal with some problems that the guide missed. Now, my dell mini works perfectly!

- Install Snow Leopard, when you go to Disk Utility, select 2 partition and format the second partition by FAT, rename it (like Windows)
- Install Seven to Windows partition
- After Seven is installed, at your reboot, Seven will be the only OS bootable
- In Seven do this steps:
- Open "Run" and type "cmd"
- type "diskpart"
- type "select disk 0"
- type "list partition"
- type "select partition X", where X is the number of HFS+ partition (large size + offset 200MB)
- type "active"
- type "exit"
- Unplug all the removable drive (if not, u will see a blinking cursor)
- reboot Seven
- In SL, reinstall Chameleon bootloader by NBI

Now, If you install NBI 0.84RC1, reboot and you will have a dual boot.

If you install older version of NBI, then continue:
- Insert Seven's DVD and go to Prompt in the "repair my computer" section
- If Seven suggest repairing startup, click No
- Now, once Prompt appears, type this command:
- type "cmd"
- type "diskpart"
- type "select disk 0"
- type "list partition"
- type "select partition X", where X is the number of Seven partition (usually the last partition)
- type "active"
- type "exit" twice
- select Startup Repair and wait for completion
- restart

- Now Seven will load, and when you are into Seven do this steps:
- Open "Run" and type "cmd"
- type "diskpart"
- type "select disk 0"
- type "list partition"
- type "select partition X", where X is the number of HFS+ partition
- type "active"
- type "exit"
- Unplug all the removable drive (if not, u will see a blinking cursor)
- reboot once again

Snow Leopard 10.6.2 can recognize and read NTFS partition of Windows 7, you don't have to install any 3rd software
If you want to reinstall or upgrade NBI, repeat all the steps from (*)

**If you can't boot into SL ?
Write this image to usb and boot from it, then select SL and reinstall NBI 0.8.3 Final
Code:
http://osx.mechdrew.com/downloads/NBI_083F.img
**Restore your USB capacity :
In Windows 7, go to Disk Management, then you can delete partition on your USB and format it.

Please comment any bugs in my guide
Tutorial Tools

Featured Tutorials
Old 12-23-2009, 06:00 PM

I'm stuck at step 2: - Install Seven to Windows partition

When I attempt to reboot from Window 7 Starter Edition on USB flash drive, i get to the Windows 7 setup screen where there are four partitions:
200 MB
111 GB <--OS X partition
128 MB
37 GB <--partition I want to install Windows on

Windows won't let me install on the 37GB partition, even when I format it, saying that it's not supported in the BIOS. I don't see anything in the BIOS that allows me to look at the partitions...am I missing something?

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

n/m--on my third reboot, I didn't run into this problem and Windows is now installing. Onward and upwards!

pokenguyen, I did mean to thank you for this guide. I'll holler if I have any more trouble with any of the steps.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:00 AM

Default So close....

So I followed all the steps, with only one more hiccup, and everything *seemed* to work great. However, while I can now log into the Windows 7 partition no problem, when I attempt to log in to OS X, either by default or by actively selecting the OS X partition using Chameleon bootloader, I get caught in an endless loop of reboots:

1) Dell splash screen
2) Chameleon count down splash screen, showing my OS X partition
3) Screen goes black, reboot to step 1

Please help! How do I get out of this loop?
Old 12-24-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitbones View Post
So I followed all the steps, with only one more hiccup, and everything *seemed* to work great. However, while I can now log into the Windows 7 partition no problem, when I attempt to log in to OS X, either by default or by actively selecting the OS X partition using Chameleon bootloader, I get caught in an endless loop of reboots:

1) Dell splash screen
2) Chameleon count down splash screen, showing my OS X partition
3) Screen goes black, reboot to step 1

Please help! How do I get out of this loop?
Try using a Netbook Installer USB or a Netbook CD to boot to OSX, install NBI RC5 again, then follow steps from *
You candownload NBI USB or NBCD here : osx.mechdrew.com
Old 12-24-2009, 05:39 PM

Ah...yes, I see the problem. I allowed OS X update to 10.6.2 but am still on RC3 of NBI. Sorry, still new to hackintoshing Will give this a shot and report back if it doesn't work.

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 PM

followed instructions as per stated and everything 'works' except... when booting into 7, It starts at the OS choice screen, where 7 is (recovered). Have I missed something or is this the action of 7 (due to the windows.old). Otherwise, thanks for a great fix.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Just a thought after my last post. I can't select the 'other' OS at the boot screen (labelled previous windows versions). I assume the loader can see the osx partitiion (it was made active earlier in the instructions) and believes it is another active os. I can't see how to tell 7 how to ignore this and just boot 7. I need to read up. Disk Management didn't have any entry for this - tempted to assign a drive letter to the osx partition but more concerned it'll break osx.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 AM

Windows 7 can't read or write HFS+ partition, so it can't recognize Snow Leopard on it. May be your Windows 7 Installation include an extra option... I think you can ignore this screen by setting waiting time in Windows 7 to lowest (maybe 3s).
If you want to entirely remove the extra boot option, use Easy BCD
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM

Hiya, your English is great, thanks for reply. I'm using windows 7 ultimate. If windows cannot recogise the HFS+ partition why do we use diskpart and activate it in the last step. Should this not be the seven partition which we also set earlier.

I'll reduce the wait time as suggested - because I can certainly live with this but wanted it to run up as per normal.

thanks again
Old 01-01-2010, 04:08 AM

Windows 7 uses a boot file different form that of Windows XP. You can edit boot file by using Easy BCD and delete the extra option Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies
Old 01-01-2010, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the guide. Do I follow these steps using a Dell Mini 9 with a 64gb SSD?
Comment

« Dual Booting for Dummies - Snow Leopard with NBM 0.8.3rc2 and Windows 7 | Creating the ULTIMATE multi-boot recovery USB Drive »
Tutorial Tools