Dual Booting Guides Guides for setting up your Dell Mini to run 2 operating systems or more.

Comment

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
  Old

Default Simple way to create Dual Boot : Snow Leopard and Windows 7 - 12-22-2009, 01:15 AM

This is the way I create a dual boot with SL and Windows 7 based on [HOW TO] Create a dualboot with Seven-Leopard using Chameleon - Hackint0sh. It took me a couple of hours to deal with some problems that the guide missed. Now,...
Old 04-10-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitbones View Post
I'm stuck at step 2: - Install Seven to Windows partition

When I attempt to reboot from Window 7 Starter Edition on USB flash drive, i get to the Windows 7 setup screen where there are four partitions:
200 MB
111 GB <--OS X partition
128 MB
37 GB <--partition I want to install Windows on

Windows won't let me install on the 37GB partition, even when I format it, saying that it's not supported in the BIOS. I don't see anything in the BIOS that allows me to look at the partitions...am I missing something?

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

n/m--on my third reboot, I didn't run into this problem and Windows is now installing. Onward and upwards!

pokenguyen, I did mean to thank you for this guide. I'll holler if I have any more trouble with any of the steps.

I'm getting the same problem here but mine won't fix itself. Even if I go in and format the drive with NO partitions, I get the same error. I've tried formatting from the Snow Leopard installer, and diskpart from cmd in the windows 7 installer as well as the GUI option they have. Does anyone know why this is happening??

I'm using a 10v with bios A06
Old 04-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Default Dual boot, 2 partitions, and disk alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokenguyen View Post
This is the way I create a dual boot with SL and Windows 7 based on [HOW TO] Create a dualboot with Seven-Leopard using Chameleon - Hackint0sh. It took me a couple of hours to deal with some problems that the guide missed. Now, my dell mini works perfectly!

- Install Snow Leopard, when you go to Disk Utility, select 2 partition and format the second partition by FAT, rename it (like Windows)
- Install Seven to Windows partition
- After Seven is installed, at your reboot, Seven will be the only OS bootable
- In Seven do this steps:
- Open "Run" and type "cmd"
- type "diskpart"
- type "select disk 0"
- type "list partition"
- type "select partition X", where X is the number of HFS+ partition (large size + offset 200MB)
- type "active"
- type "exit"
- Unplug all the removable drive (if not, u will see a blinking cursor)
- reboot Seven
- In SL, reinstall Chameleon bootloader by NBI

Now, If you install NBI 0.84RC1, reboot and you will have a dual boot.

If you install older version of NBI, then continue:
- Insert Seven's DVD and go to Prompt in the "repair my computer" section
- If Seven suggest repairing startup, click No
- Now, once Prompt appears, type this command:
- type "cmd"
- type "diskpart"
- type "select disk 0"
- type "list partition"
- type "select partition X", where X is the number of Seven partition (usually the last partition)
- type "active"
- type "exit" twice
- select Startup Repair and wait for completion
- restart

- Now Seven will load, and when you are into Seven do this steps:
- Open "Run" and type "cmd"
- type "diskpart"
- type "select disk 0"
- type "list partition"
- type "select partition X", where X is the number of HFS+ partition
- type "active"
- type "exit"
- Unplug all the removable drive (if not, u will see a blinking cursor)
- reboot once again

Snow Leopard 10.6.2 can recognize and read NTFS partition of Windows 7, you don't have to install any 3rd software
If you want to reinstall or upgrade NBI, repeat all the steps from (*)

**If you can't boot into SL ?
Write this image to usb and boot from it, then select SL and reinstall NBI 0.8.3 Final
Code:
http://osx.mechdrew.com/downloads/NBI_083F.img
**Restore your USB capacity :
In Windows 7, go to Disk Management, then you can delete partition on your USB and format it.

Please comment any bugs in my guide
Thank you for making this simple guide.
The following is ment to be as additional information, things I have learned using your guide.

This is not a complete guide so only try this if you have some experience or have time to read the other guides here.

Why waste space for EFI and win7 system partition? And how about boosting perfomance using disk alignement?

FIRST, you need to make a osx backup/disk image that you can restore after win7 install!!! I prefer carbon copy for this, its a free mac util.

PART1 - CLEAN WINDOWS 7 INSTALL WITH 64KB DISK ALIGNMENT
1. Clean install
2. Start windows 7 install (Windows7 Lite works good for me)
3. Start command line, "diskpart.exe" (Ctrl+shift+F10 I think)
4. "Select disk 0" (SSD disk)
5. "clean" (erase everything)
6. "create partition primary align=64"
7. Exit command line and continue/complete windows 7 install, (do not format drive in windows installer). You now have one big partition, and disk is 64KB aligned. I'm no expert on this but it has been recomended on this forum and my machine runs faster using 64.

PART2 - INSTALL OSX
1. Boot into windows and using diskmanager create a second NTFS partition for OSX. (I have 32GB SSD so I split partition making a second 15GB partition.)
2. Restart, and boot osx installer. (I use USB install patched with netbookinstaller 0.8.3 RC5)
3. Start disk util
4. Righ click second NTFS (OSX) partition, Erase using Mac OS Ext. journaled.
5. File, Open Disk Image -> find your OSX backup .img made from carbon copy or other...
5. Click restore
6. Right click newly formated OSX drive and set as destination
7. Right click backup image and set as source
8. Click restore.

9. When done, boot into osx, you might have to start from usb installer.
10. In osx start netbook installer and install chameleon 2 NBI bootloader - only.
11. Reboot
12. Start win7 installer and go to command promt (FN+F10 thing)
13. diskpart, select disk 0, list partition, select partition 1, active (sets win7 partition active, need to do a quick boot repair.)
14. Reboot and agin start win7 installer, select repair to fix start up.
15. Restart. Win7 should now boot.
16. Start command promt, diskpart, select disk 0, list partition, select partition 2, active (sets OSX partition active.)

Thats it!

If you start diskpart and list partition you should have something like
Partition 1 Type: Primary Size: 15 GB Offset: 64 KB
Partition 2 Type: Primary Size: 14 GB Offset: 15 GB
Old 04-14-2010, 03:54 PM

I get no choice to boot on OSX or Seven, Only OSX run.
I get the two boot if I star with my USB intaller OSX key

I resolve the pb.
when startup press a key an the two boot disk are on the desktop.
So choice one an it launch.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:41 PM

this worked great, I already had snow leopard installed, I updated to 10.6.3 last night, and installed windows 7 this morning. the hardest part was trying to get my $29.99 Windows 7 student offer turned into an .ISO, after that the install was easy. THANK YOU!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:02 PM

I did everything the way you told me but I still get a blinking cursor at the boot after setting the hfs+ partition active.
NBI 0.8.4RC1 and with the img file I just a get a boot0 error

Please help me...

Again:
I installed Snow Leopard with NBI 0.8.4RC1, updated to 10.6.3, resized the partition in disk utility, formatted new partition with FAT and shut down. Installed 7 by reformatting the new partition, went into cmd, did the diskpart stuff as described above, shut down. On the the next start up: blinking cursor. Again with NBI Installer USB Stick and it booted into OSX. Reinstalled only Bootloader and shut down. Next Start up is not showing any signs of 7 - it boots directly into OSX. The holding down shift during start up method just shows me my osx partition.

Isn't there anybody out there? Please :-)
Old 04-22-2010, 08:22 AM

Boot to SL and then reinstall NBI again with all checked option. Unplug removable drives when you reinstall
Old 04-22-2010, 09:04 AM

I did not have any external drives plugged in in the first place. After installing 7 and booting to the 7 desktop I unplugged the external DVD-drive and did the diskpart stuff, rebooted, blinking cursor, and so on.

What chenges does it make to check the other options in NBI since in the other posts people say to just check the bootloader option?

But thank you anyway.

Well I did it again and paid attention to not shut down and restart but to reboot. Seems like that fixed it. everything working now. Only the design of the bootloader could be a little nicer - Thanks everyone, have a great day
Old 04-23-2010, 01:06 AM

I have had several posts with the problem in formatting the RunCore 64gb SSD card into NTFS format in order to install Windows 7.

After at least a dozen attempts here is what I did and am almost there...I have one partition running Windows 7. Steps I used:

1. On the Mac I wiped the SSD clean of any partitions
2. I installed the SSD card into the Dell Mini 9 and using a Windows XP Pro install disk I was able to format the SSD card into NTFS format.
3. Using the Win XP install dvd I was able to partition the SSD into two partitions the first for Mac OSX and the second for Win 7
4. On the second drive I installed Win XP and closed computer
5. I booted from the Windows 7 Install DVD and installed Win7 over the Win XP partition

That is what I have done and have a successfully booting Win 7 Ultimate system on my Dell Mini9. I still have yet to install Mac OSX on the first partition since I want to relish in this success. I will look at another weekend to try the dual boot with Win7 and OSX.

Hope this helps those of you sharing the same frustrations in the install attempt. Get back to me with any questions. Thanks. --Chuck
Old 05-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Default Success!!!!

Completed this yesterday and thought'd I'd make mention of what I ended up doing at a couple of the steps where it went wonky.

What I used --
  • Dell Mini 10v, A06, 2GB and back to the original 160GB hard drive
  • 8GB SDHC with Patched with .84 RC1. NOTE: If you originally used Mechdrew's excellent guide NetbookInstaller 2: USB Install via any Opersting System, do your self a favor and now that you have a working MacMini, rebuild your USB Drive/SDHC Card using NetbookInstaller 1. Much nicer and easier, IMHO.
  • 8GB Flash Drive with Windows 7 Professional built with Microsoft ISO to USB tool

I used a SDHC for the OSX install media, but a flash drive would work as well. I just find the SDHC works faster on this 10V of mine.

What I did--

1. Backed up everything. These are clean installs of both OSes. No need adding more complexity until I now what I'm doing.
2. Clean that Hard Drive. I've installed more OSes on this Mini in the last two weeks than I can count. Be sure to start fresh.
  • Boot off of the Win7 Flash Drive.
  • Run Diskpart and Clean the drive (fwiw, my drive is also set to GPT)
3. Install SL. Creating 2 Partitions as Pokenguyens's guide suggests. I did full install and patched up to 10.6.3 and installed the NetbookInstaller
4. Installing Seven was problematic for me until I did the following. Problematic meaning that it kept saying that Windows cannot install to the selected partition.
  • At the first screen where Win7 is asking for which language to use, press Shift+Fn+F10 to get to a command prompt.
  • type "diskpart"
  • type "select disk 0"
  • type "list partitions"
  • type "select partition X" where X is the number of your WINDOWS partition.
  • type "format" (I did not do a quick format but that may have worked.)
  • once finished, type "exit" and do your Windows 7 Install.
5. After Seven was installed and the HFS+ partition was set active, my system just hung at the blink cursor or reboot.
  • boot off of the OSX SDHC
  • select the installed OSX partition and boot into OSX
  • reinstall the Netbook Installer

That's it. Happily dual booting. Now to whip out my UNR install and get it added to the mix.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 PM

Default What to do if I also have SL already installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesavage042 View Post
this worked great, I already had snow leopard installed, I updated to 10.6.3 last night, and installed windows 7 this morning. the hardest part was trying to get my $29.99 Windows 7 student offer turned into an .ISO, after that the install was easy. THANK YOU!

So, if I have SL already installed I can just install Windows 7? Does it allow me to add a partition for Windows 7? If so, do I format it as FAT? Is it that simple or is there more to it?
Comment

« Dual Booting for Dummies - Snow Leopard with NBM 0.8.3rc2 and Windows 7 | Creating the ULTIMATE multi-boot recovery USB Drive »
Tutorial Tools