Dual Booting Guides Guides for setting up your Dell Mini to run 2 operating systems or more.

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
Default Easiest Windows 7/Snow Leopard Dual Boot, with Chameleon - 10-08-2009, 07:50 PM

this guide will show you how to create a windows 7 and snow leopard dual boot with chameleon bootloader as the partition selecter, thats right, no ugly easybcf or whatever its called.

what you will need:

1. snow leopard usb patched with netbookmaker or snow leopard dvd...

Alienware M15x|Black|BT|GT 240m|Intel i5|Windows 7 64-bit|
Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 AM

I'm in the exact same boat as r0dney.
Dell Mini 10v | OS X 10.6.1 | Everything works
Old 12-10-2009, 02:38 PM

What does the bootloader look like exactly? Will it auto boot into OSX?

I want it to only ever appear when I want to boot into Windows but boot directly into OSX when no button is pressed. Just the way Bootcamp on Mac works.

How can this be done?

Thanks for the guide!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 PM

to fix the blank blinking cursor, after you go to terminal and enter all the values, re-install chameleon with your dell effi program. restart and it should let you select what OS you want.

it worked for me =]
Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 PM

Thanks IDKwutName. I ordered a mini 10v so I could hackintosh it, and it's great to be able to dual-boot Win7 as well. Will try as soon as I get my 10v!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Default Dual Boot Windows before Mac

From all the Dual booting videos I've seen, everyone always boot Mac before they boot windows. Is there a reason for this? And can we boot windows before we boot the mac?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 AM

I'm using NetbookCD 0.8.3 RC3 (RC4 won't boot for me..) and when I type "sudo -s" into the terminal, it says sudo is an invalid command... Can someone explain why this is so?
Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by r0dney View Post
Well I followed all the steps to a tee, and everything worked well until the last terminal step. After completing all the terminal commands and rebooting I just get a blinking cursor in the top left of the screen and no bootloader. If I boot back through the USB MAC OSX drive the OSX and Windows drives show as bootable options, but I am stuck not being able to boot directly from the hard drive now. I tried performing the terminal steps again, but just get the same result.

Any ideas?

This happened to me but I got it to work doing the following:
1. Use the bootdisk to select your OSX partition.
2. Once in OSX re-run the netbook installer, selecting only to install chameleon. The Win7 install has basically made things a bit wonky, but reinstaling Chameleon will fix this problem.
3. UNFORTUNATELY, Win7 will now throw a **** fit. For me, it' corrupted winload.exe. So now now reboot the system using your Windows 7 Installer. At the screen press ctrl-shift+f7 (like you did in the begining). Bring back up the disk partition utility, select your windows partition (should be 3) and set it to active. I believe the command is just to say "Active"
4. Exit out of the command prompt and select "Repair" from the windows installer. This will make windows bootable.
5. If you're like me, you should see a quick "boot:" on reboot before the system immediately goes into Win7. Don't worry, OS X is still there, you just need to re-enable it
6. Reboot into OS X using the OS X installer and follow the final instructions for setting the OS X partition to active.

These are the steps that worked for me, hopefully this should help you out.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:39 AM

Hi IDKwutName, I used your guide to install XP and Snow on my Gigabyte Mainboard. Worked great, very well done. I learned something too, Thanks man!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Default Finally have dual boot working

After trying several dual boot guides, I will agree this is the simplest method - and it does work. For the record, I used OS X SL retail disk and Netbook CD 0.8.3 with a USB optical drive on my Mini 10v.

For the step by step guide for using NetbookInstaller which is listed by IDKwutName as item 1 under What You Need and steps 6 - 10 of The Method, see http://osx.mechdrew.com/guides/nbi3.shtml.

Perform the steps that IDKwutName outlines above but when doing steps 6 - 10, follow the procedures on Mechdrews NBI3 guide, specifically Installing MAC OS X and First Boot.

I've encountered some of the issues others encountered here. Like getting the chameleon boot loader but having a non-bootable Win 7 (blinking cursor). Then after repairing the Win 7 boot issue, not getting the chameleon boot loader. Basically cycling back and forth between chameleon and Win 7 on the MBR.

After cycling through the process of reinstalling chameleon via the netbookinstaller 0.8.3 and then repairing the Windows installation a couple of times, it occurred to me what was missing from the steps outlined here.

When you complete the fdisk steps, after issuing the w command (Write), the final output from fdisk was a message to the effect of "the partition could not be accessed exclusively. A restart is required to complete the changes."

When you restart, boot the NetbookInstaller CD and start OS X. Only then does it complete the changes to the MBR.

Prior to this attempt I had always tried to start Win 7 from chameleon right after the fdisk process.

Anyway, now I have it working and can successfully boot either OS X SL or Win 7 via chameleon.

Thanks to all who posted!

Dell Mini 10v | OS X SL retail | Win 7 Ult
Old 06-14-2010, 02:53 AM

its obvious here that this methode here dosn't work and there for i think should be removed, there is no prof of a video showing this being done.

« Creating the ULTIMATE multi-boot recovery USB Drive | - »
Tutorial Tools